Author Topic: Chevre - Rubbery, Not Spreadable, Recommendations & Recipe  (Read 4575 times)

manimal42

Chevre - Rubbery, Not Spreadable, Recommendations & Recipe
« on: April 22, 2012, 11:21:45 PM »
Hey everyone!  First time making fresh  goat cheese and I am having problems.  It is getting too rubbery and I want it to be soft and spreadable.  I am wondering if I am using too much rennet, agitating it too much or getting it too hot after I have cut the curds.  I am using 1 gallon of raw goat milk and 1/8 tespoon DCI drouble strength supreme liquid rennet.  Any ideas on how to make it soft and spreadable?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 11:41:47 PM by manimal42 »

Tomer1

Re: Chevre - Rubbery, Not Spreadable, Recommendations & Recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 11:53:55 PM »
You should try a lactic make with MM100 or FD culture. after curds have set (takes about 12 hours or so,depending on temp) cut and drain the curds to the desired consistancy,followed by salting to taste. This will yeild a soft spreadable cheese.

manimal42

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 12:04:45 AM »
Thank you so much for the quick and informative reply.

This is a culture I have, will this work as a lactic acid make?  What is an FD culture?

From DCI
Mesophilic Aromatic Type B
For use in soft goat cheeses, cottage cheeses, sour cream, cultured butter, fermented buttermilk and fresh cheeses.
Contains:
(LL) Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis
(LLC) Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris
(LLD) Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis biovar diacetylactis
(LMC) Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris

What temperature do I allow them to set at for 12 hours, room temp or a little higher?  So does rennet always make goat cheese more rubbery than a lactic acid make?

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 03:33:45 AM »
Please post your recipe.

knipknup

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 12:58:38 PM »
Rennet will coagulate. Room temp is best for the set and for around 12 hours. The culture will add flavor and character.  I only add 1 drop of calf rennet and scoop the curd straight into the molds without cutting. Now it sits for 24 hours draining whey, also at room temp.  Here, that is about 72F. After that, I will salt the surface.

manimal42

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 02:51:21 PM »
Thanks again for the reply.  To clarify, I add the lactic acid culture and let it sit for 12 hours.  Then when do I add the rennet?  When I add the culture at the beginning?  After the 12 hours?

Can I let it drain in a cheese clothe?  Thanks!

knipknup

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 03:31:48 PM »
Here's the recipe I used.  Hopefully it will help answer your questions.

2 Qts goats milk
2 Qts whole cows milk
Clean and sanitize everything
Sit out milk to warm to room temp
Heat milk in double boiler slowly to 86F (should take about 1min per degree)
For the following steps hold at 86F
Add culture and stir in gently (I used 1 TBSP mother culture, probably around 1/4tsp dry)
Wait 5-10 min
Add 1 drop calf rennet diluted in 1/4Cup cool water, stir in gently
Pour mixture into cheese vat, cover and sit at room temp for 12 hours (or use original container or whatever, I used a separate one)
Tip container and ladle out as much whey as possible without disturbing the curd
Ladle curd into prepared molds (I used feta molds lined with muslin)
Allow to drain and continue ladling curd into molds until they are filled.
Nearing the second half of the container, it is difficult to separate curd from whey, so I pour into a muslin lined strainer that is set over a bowl.  This continues to drain the whey as I ladle - the whole process took about 45 minutes.
Sit molds for 24 hours at room temp
Flip molds and sit another 24 hours at room temp
Remove from molds, gently shape as needed and salt surface with 1/2 tsp per cheese (I ended up with 2)
Herb if desired and store covered in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
The cheese will firm up a bit more as it cools in the refrigerator.

Hope that helps.  Not the most beautiful format, but step by step helps me most.

Also, I don't claim to be an expert, so any input to my method is welcome.

manimal42

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 04:24:35 PM »
That is a great recipe thank you.  I wonder if I could make a soft non-lactic acid cheese by using only small amounts of rennet like you did.  What happens if you don't use any rennet at all?  Does it just make a fermented milk instead of seperating into curds and whey?  Like a yogurt?

knipknup

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 05:48:16 PM »
You will find tons of answers in the information board of the forum.
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/board,168.0.html

Also, I recommend this document that a forum member put together.  Great props to him!  This doc covers lactic acid conversion, coagulation, etc...
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,2438.0.html

Tomer1

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 07:51:16 PM »
Thats a great recipe, I dont see why you are'nt satisfied since it produces a very soft and spreadable product (like tangy cream cheese after pre-draining) in the first few days.

manimal42

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 12:05:07 AM »
It is a great recipe, I just want to know if I can make a fresh soft spreadable cheese just with rennet but in a couple of hours with no fermentation.

linuxboy

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 12:49:59 AM »
preacidify the milk with vinegar to a pH of 5.2 and then add a little rennet until it coagulates. Then drain. It will be bland, but spreadable. Or make ricotta with extra cream.

manimal42

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 01:38:10 AM »
perfect thank you!