Author Topic: Caerphilly #2  (Read 7484 times)

Threelittlepiggiescheese

Re: Caerphilly #2
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 12:47:36 PM »
Hi,

I don't know what mould they are, but I get similar.  They're harmless, don't affect flavour (at least, not that I can tell), but do reduce the asthetic appeal.  Still, a brush with a nail brush (dedicated to the job, don't go grab the one from the bathroom) and some salt and vinegar may help get rid of them. 

- Jeff

Every cheese I have done so far have all been natural rinds, so I am not too worried about spots here and there so long as they aren't lethal :P.  I see them as the charm of doing a hand made natural rind cheese, however I have to be honest, they will probably keep me from eating the rind.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 01:01:14 AM »
As tiny as those mold spots are I would think you could scrub them off before they dig in.

Threelittlepiggiescheese

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 03:15:13 AM »
they havent grown, and  I have treated with vinegar and salt heavily, and scrubbed to no avail, so im letting them be now

dthelmers

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 01:36:49 PM »
Did you dry the cheese on a metal rack? I get little spots on my cheese when I use one of my chromed cooling racks; it seems to be some kind of reaction to the metal. It just seems to some kind of oxidation, and hasn't hurt the cheese. Your picture looks like what I get.

Threelittlepiggiescheese

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 02:10:32 AM »
thats exactly what I dried on this time, thank you! I found a nice plastic basket with an interesting pattern on it I will be using from here on out.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 02:14:57 AM »
I put little plastic cross stitch sheets on the racks so they don't touch. I think they are like 6 sheets for $3? I see it used a lot here now.

Little plastic sheets with bunch of holes used for cross stitching sold in Craft stores or WalMart. I know I posted them several years ago but I can not find a picture right now. Here is a picture of me using one for a strainer during a make.

Edited for clarity (I hope)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:54:44 AM by DeejayDebi »

Caseus

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 03:53:13 AM »
I put little plastic cross stish sheet ion the racks so they don't touch. I think they are like 6 sheets for $3? I see it used a lot here now.

Debi, my apologies in advance.  I am presently enjoying the glow that comes of drinking an entire bottle of blended South African Cabernet Sauvignon and a Super Tuscan, both of my own making.  Probably because of that, I can't decipher what you just said.  Can you clarify?  It is the "cross stish sheet ion" that isn't making it through my fog.   :-[

Threelittlepiggiescheese

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 12:49:12 PM »
cross-stitch sheet on, is what she meant I believe.  And I will also assume she was talking about a plastic version of the picture attached.

Caseus

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 05:09:30 PM »
That makes sense.  Thank you.  I've never heard of a cross stitch sheet, but I bet I could find them at a hobby and craft store.  Might be cheaper than buying matting from a cheesemaking supply vendor. 

beechercreature

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 05:49:35 PM »
That makes sense.  Thank you.  I've never heard of a cross stitch sheet, but I bet I could find them at a hobby and craft store.  Might be cheaper than buying matting from a cheesemaking supply vendor.

they have them at walmart if you have one of those nearby.

Caseus

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 08:35:13 PM »
Thanks, beechercreature.  I live in an area of substantial Walmart density.  There are 20 Walmart stores within a 12 mile radius.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 02:55:54 AM »
Yep that's it ! I added a picture I love those things for everything but sewing!  ;)

beechercreature

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 02:27:44 PM »
Thanks, beechercreature.  I live in an area of substantial Walmart density.  There are 20 Walmart stores within a 12 mile radius.

You've found the elusive Walmart breeding ground!  ;)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 03:03:30 AM »
You've found the elusive Walmart breeding ground!  ;)

;D What a thought!

Threelittlepiggiescheese

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 02:01:32 AM »
so ive been neglectful of my cheeses for a bit, as my stomache is still settling, this is the most sick ive been in a LONG time, but had a lil mold attack on this one and it has some peach splotching on it, any ideas?