Author Topic: Records Journal/Log - Advice  (Read 1345 times)

Leasa

Records Journal/Log - Advice
« on: April 12, 2012, 04:48:15 AM »
can anybody help me? :-[

I am a seriously unorganised cheese maker.  I've decided that recipes and notes on bits of scrappy bits of paper have to go.  If anybody has any good suggestions or some good formats for keeping notes I'd love to know!
cheers Leasa ;D

Threelittlepiggiescheese

Re: Records Journal/Log - Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 05:02:44 AM »
i do quite enjoy evernote :)

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 09:10:18 PM »
I use a note book for cheese logs.   recipes are on the computer in word format or website favorites.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 03:21:40 AM »
There are also several logs in the Library!

Annie

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 05:33:52 PM »
can anybody help me? :-[

I am a seriously unorganised cheese maker.  I've decided that recipes and notes on bits of scrappy bits of paper have to go.  If anybody has any good suggestions or some good formats for keeping notes I'd love to know!
cheers Leasa ;D

Oh, Leasa, you are just like me :D Everyone here is so nice and patient; it's great.

Anyway, I didn't know about the logs in the library,  there's a good chance that they are better than what I am doing, but this is what I am doing:

I have a spiral notebook. I fold the sheet in half vertically, then write the recipe on the right side (I don't write every detail of the recipe--just the steps. I refer to the actual recipe for the details). At the top of the right side, I have the name of the recipe and where it can be found.

Then I date the left side and write notes about what happened: usually "Late getting to cheese after rest." "Temp went up two extra degrees."

Then when I want to make the cheese again, I fold the page back so I can see it but write the notes on another page, which has also been folded in half and has the name of the cheese and date at the top with the notes running down.

Then I use strips of paper taped together to form a ring on which I put the name of the cheese and the date, and this ring stays with the cheese. Then when I try the cheese and really like it (hope springs eternal  ;)) (no, seriously, I took a cheese for my family to taste and they really really liked it, and I had no idea what kind it was... :-[)--anyway, when I try the cheese and really like it, then I can refer back to see what I did, if I followed the recipe exactly (!), or if I did something different, etc.

I have a cheese-making recipe book in which I also have some notes (like: don't try to make two gallons of cheese in a two-gallon pot for this recipe... :-[ or recipe for brine on pg XX), and I have a folder in which I keep the more thorough directions which I acquire elsewhere (like the internet). That way everything is pretty much contained rather than all over the place and flapping on the fridge.

I really only started making cheese because we have a cow and sometimes have too much milk to drink, but now I am very interested in how it all works. It's like a puzzle!

Annie

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 05:40:38 PM »
Here is a link to some better (prettier :) ) ways of keeping track of the cheese itself