Author Topic: Vat - Review 12 US Quart/11.4 Liter Cuisinart Stainless Steel Stockpot Set  (Read 2503 times)

Cheese Head

I was looking for a medium vat to replace my cheapo smaller set and wanted 3-4 US gallons for making batches of 6 Camemberts.

I still like a stockpot for a cheese making vat with triple-ply bottom for better heat distribution as a stockpot is multipurpose and I don't see the need to go to a double boiler system.

After reading reviews on several on Amazon.com here in US I ordered a 4 piece Cuisinart Brand 3 US gallon stockpot with lid, and bonus pasta & steamer inserts for USD61. Unit is nicely made and today I used it for making a batch of Camemberts.

Observations:
  • This stockpot will like all fit the rated 3 US gallons but it will be full to the rim, I filled using 3 US gallons less 2 cups, was too full for stirring etc, next batch will be 2 US gallons and 3 quarts.
  • Nice quality.
  • Metal scratches easily, see pictures of marks from cutting the curd using our kitchen long bread knife. Yes I used the sharp edge to cut but my older cheapo set nor our kitchen saucepan set 1 US gallon pot never did that after many uses.
  • Price is great, and bonus pasta and steamer insert are useful.

In summary, because of the scratching I would not but this product again.

Threelittlepiggiescheese

i like the tequila in the first picture :P a very important part of making cheese ;P

Cheese Head

Ha, someone noticed! Yep, nice looking bottle and 100% Agave, not mixed ;D.

Threelittlepiggiescheese

im more of a whisky/whiskey/scotch fan, but I've seen wayyyyy too many of those blue bottles as I was born and raised in Reno Nevada, lots of Mexicans there

Cheese Head

Ha, we are sort of opposites, I was raised in Vancouver BC and now I'm down south.

Cloversmilker

I have a slighter smaller pan set like this.  (Different brand; same pieces.)   I've found the shallow strainer quite handy for straining curds for pressed cheese and I use the deep strainer when lightly pressing curds under whey.  My makes are usually in the 4 to 5 gallon range.  A good investment.  (With or without the tequila.  ;) )

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
I thought you were going to use it to polish you pans or something.  ???

Threelittlepiggiescheese

blasphemy! tequila is only to be used for cleaning out the throat or stomach :P

beechercreature

blasphemy! tequila is only to be used for cleaning out the throat or stomach :P

when you use it at full strength, it cleans out all those pesky memories too.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
LOL yes memories can be cleaned out for awhile