Author Topic: First Mozzarella  (Read 3667 times)

gmac

Re: First Mozzarella
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 01:10:48 AM »
LOL Well that's good! I just checked your culture again and that is definately the wrong cultuture to use but it should give you some form of cheese. Hopefully it doesn't dry out before it gets done. You may have a big batch a halumi!
Thanks.  What is the right culture?  I just tried again and it's even stretchier. Maybe tomorrow...

What's halumi?

If it doesn't work tomorrow, it's getting cut up and salted and eaten like curds.

gmac

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 09:35:27 PM »
Well, it's about 72 hours after I started and the curd has been in and out of the fridge a few times.  It finally got fairly stretchy although I think it would have gotten better with a bit more time. 

I cut it into curds and added hot water (I wasn't sure if the whey was still good) and it sort of melted, not super soft but stretchy enough to pull it up a foot or so above the bowl without it breaking.  I worked it into a lump and then pulled off small balls and put them in salted cold water.

I've tried them, they are very rubbery, and a bit squeaky.  Not terrible but not at all soft.  I'm sure I overworked the curd terribly trying to get it melted and stretched. 

What is the right culture to use?  Will just buttermilk do it?  I'm not sure but I've read that on here as well.  If so, how much?
I'm going to try another batch this week and see what happens. 
Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 01:13:19 AM »
Sorry didn't make it in on time. A TA 61 or 62 or a Thermophilic Type C Culture would be a better choice. Not really sure what you had but it seem like it wasn;t enough or maybe old or something shouldn't have taken that long to acidify.

Halumi is a cheese from Cyprus that is kind of like a mozzarella that doesn't melt. I can be grilled or fried and a nice simple cheese for cooking with veggies.