Author Topic: 1st St-Marcellin  (Read 6931 times)

iratherfly

Re: 1st St-Marcellin
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 09:19:40 PM »
They are glazed and they are supposed to be dirt cheap.  I have a few that I use from store-bought Saint Marcellins but I also use some that I purchased in a cookware store -these are Spanish Cazuelas and are usually used for tapas, crema catalana, to put salt on the table for people to take pinches by hand, etc.

Here's an example for something that would work:
http://www.hotpaella.com/Products/Set-of-4-Rustic-Cazuela-Clay-Pan---3-inch-8-cm__CP084-S4.aspx

Caseus

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 03:27:11 AM »
I bought eight of those very same "3 inch" casuelas from Hot Paella, via Amazon.  They are nicely made, but I'm very sorry to report that the inside diameter is not 3 inches.  They measure 2.5 inches inside diameter.  The side walls are much thicker than what is shown in the picture of the 3 inch ones on their web site or on Amazon. 

On the Hot Paella web site, they have both 2.5 inch (6 cm) and 3 inch (8 cm) casuelas.  What I ordered and what appeared on my invoice was the 3 inch size.  What they sent was the 2.5 inch size.   

My St. Marcellin molds are 3 inch diameter at the base, so these 2.5 inch diameter casuelas are useless to me. 

I suggest if you order them from Hot Paella, do it via telephone not via Amazon or via their website, and make sure they send you the right item.  Mine are going right back to Amazon.

Caseus

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 04:26:08 PM »
Just an update here so people won't make the same mistake I did.  Hot Paella does not sell a cazuela with an inside diameter of 3 inches or 8 cm.  The sizes they list on their website are approximations of the outside diameter of the base of the dish.  So the "three inch" cazuela has an outside base diameter of 3 inches, but an inside diameter of 2.5 inches.  They sell a "four inch" one that has an inside diameter of 3.5 inches.  So check your St. Marcellin molds to see if those will work for you.  In my case, neither of those sizes is suitable.

iratherfly

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 12:18:48 AM »
Glazed indeed. They wrap the earthenware with micro-perforated cellpohane. I use regular cellophane and prick a few holes in it with a needle. That works.