Author Topic: Trying a Stiltonesque this time  (Read 15410 times)

linuxboy

Re: Trying a Stiltonesque this time
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 05:38:47 PM »
LOL... the cat and Dr Pratt.. I remember now. I haven't seen The Wrong box in a long time. Kind of meh movie, but the Peter Sellers bit is so good. That film has to be 30+ years old now.

JeffHamm

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2012, 07:40:06 PM »
And the cheese goes to Linuxboy!  Yes, for a movie with such a heavy weight cast, it's a bit of a let down.  Peter Sellers is briliant, but only appears in a couple scenes.  Of the main characters, it's the butler who steals the show and he's the one non-star from the bunch!

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 12:54:24 AM »
How about "The Thing" with James Arness? Wrong track?

-Boofer-

Yah, but The Thing was one of the great early horror films.  John Carpenter did a remake in the 80s, which is still one of my favorite horror/suspense films.  Some of the best use of editing to really bring you into the pace of the film.  I've seen posters recently of another re-make, but have avoided going.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2012, 02:03:06 AM »
Oh, and Linuxboy, the Wrong Box came out mid-60s, so it's almost 50 years old! Eeep!

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2012, 01:34:56 AM »
Hi,

Just an update to show the mould progression over the past week.  It's developing some white fuzzy to it, but I've seen that others have had this too, and then the blue develops more rapidly (there is blue progression, so it's doing what it should).  There was really good blue development while draining, then I smoothed and the lower cave temp has slowed things down.  I'm getting lots of condensation on the wall of the ripening box, so it should be humid enough in there.

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2012, 01:59:11 AM »
Looking...  fuzzy!  :)  What's it's name?

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 02:25:04 AM »
what is you RH? I haven't had one get that white, Temp might be high? 50 to 55 deg. 87% to 90% RH ?
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

JeffHamm

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2012, 04:11:59 AM »
Hi,

No name just yet.  The photo looks whiter than it does "au natural".  Temp is 10 C, but I don't have a hygrometer so don't know the RH.  Box has lots of condenstation, which I wipe down.  I give it time each morning to air out as well.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2012, 01:11:39 PM »
Looks great, Jeff. Yum!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

T-Bird

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2012, 12:48:35 AM »
So far so good Jeff! Looks good! A cheese to you!( early) :D

JeffHamm

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2012, 08:20:17 PM »
Hmm, thinking my humidity might be a touch low (for no reason other than I don't have a hygrometer - yah, I know, easy to fix) I decided to not fully wipe down the condensation on the side of the box (just one side gets wet).  This morning, after a day or two of this extra damp, I can detect a touch of amonia starting to develop.  That, I think, indicates my humidity is too high now, so I've wiped down the box, opened the lid a bit more, and hopefully things will settle down.  Temp is 10 C in the cave.  I air the cheese out each morning for around 30 minutes as well, though I might give it double air time today and take it out again this evening. 

Any other suggestions?  It's looking good, and I have to get very close to smell the amonia, but it's starting and I want to nip it in the bud.

- Jeff

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2012, 09:54:59 PM »
Jeff,
I can detect a touch of amonia starting to develop.
Even now I get just a slight ammonia smell, it goes away in just a few minutes and then it just smells like stinky feet :o

JeffHamm

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
Hi,

Well, it's been 14 days today, so I pierced it.  The very slight amonia smell is there if you put your nose really close, nothing you would notice otherwise.  This could be normal, of course, as it's not "built up".  I used a meat skewer that I've given a good scrub to and then steralised in boiling water.  Anyway, the paste feels wonderfully creamy when you pierce it.  It flows out around the skewer like soft butter.  The taste is very good, not a lot of blue flavour but a wonderful texture.  This is really going to plan nicely, and once the blue starts to develop more and provide more intensity, this has the beginings of a wonderful cheese.  Oh how far beyond the horizon does a month or two lay?

- Jeff
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:06:44 AM by JeffHamm »

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2012, 11:08:19 PM »
I'm likin that MMMmmmmMmmmMM ^-^ very nice Jeff
Oh how far beyond the horizon does a month or two lay?
A very, very, very long time :o

anutcanfly

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2012, 03:57:22 PM »
 :o  Looks... scary!   ;)