Author Topic: Trying a Stiltonesque this time  (Read 15379 times)

JeffHamm

Re: Trying a Stiltonesque this time
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2012, 06:37:02 PM »
Hi,

Just an update to show the mould progression, or what may be lack thereof?  I've been letting this sit out every morning for 30 minutes or so, flipping it, and putting it back in the cave.  I flip again in the evening, but don't air it at that time.  The blue mould developed really well the first 4 days, since it's been in the cave at 10 C, not a lot seems to be happening.  It's certainly not covering up with blue.  There is a slight amonia smell (again, if I put my nose close, it's not something you can detect when you open the box) but that's been there all along and airing it doesn't seem to make it go away.  The box ends up with condensation each morninng, which I wipe down.  The plate underneath the cheese gets a wipe too as again, condensation collects there.   

Some of the holes are closing up, so I'll pierce again in a week.  I suspect more is going on under the hood than meets the eye though.

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2012, 08:11:14 PM »
No peeking Jeff!  My first blue seemed to be a little underpopulated on the outside, but the holes I pierced did fill with blue.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2012, 10:43:52 PM »
It's looking good, Jeff. Wow, you really air yours out a lot! It's all I can do to keep from touching mine every day. And now that I write that, I see some evil little minds working in the back there. >:D Every other day seems okay in my mind.

What a magnificent obsession!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

T-Bird

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2012, 11:26:43 PM »
How much longer do we have to wait?

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2012, 11:39:32 PM »
Jeff. Wow, you really air yours out a lot!
YUP, everday, everday, bring it out, clean it out, air it out  ???
OH yah-Sniff it out :o
anduh cheese ;D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 03:15:53 AM by H-K-J »
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

JeffHamm

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2012, 02:58:41 AM »
Thanks all.  It's 21 days tomorrow.  June 16th will be 63 days, and July 14th is 91 days.  I'm sure the blue is developing inside just fine.  It seemed like it was full bore until I smoothed it and put in the cave though.  I'm assuming the cooler temperature has slowed things down. 

I flip most of my cheeses twice a day until they're waxed and into long term storage, at which point they shift to a more leisurely once a week roll over.  This one gets the twice daily flipping.  I figure it will help distribute spores.  Since this has to be kept in a box by itself I take it out to give it some company in the morning.  That seems to keep it happy for the most part. 

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2012, 08:04:09 PM »
Hi,

I've pierced this a 2nd time.  I was starting to get a bit worried as the top and bottom are remaining quite moist and I'm not getting a lot of blue developement on the rind.  When I was piercing top to bottom (top side shown) on the dinner plate, I could even hear it "squish".  After piercing top to bottom, then all the way round the sides, when I lifted the cheese off the plate some of the bottom surface came away, stuck to the plate.  Didn't create a huge cavity, but I did smear it back on.  What it did give me was a glimmer of the insides, which appear to be developing good veining and lots of blue.  So, as I was hoping, it's just the external damp surfaces that is preventing good blue on the outside.  I've decided to sit in on the edge for a while and leave it out of the cave for a good airing and drying session today.  I've also changed the set up in the box, rather than sitting it on the needlepoint mat on top of a saucer, I've not put the mat over chopsticks.  I think the saucer was  creating a high humity pocket underneath the cheese.  The chopsticks should give more airing underneath.

Anyway, the paste is firm, but still creamy and from the volunteer samples that came out during the piercing it's developing good flavour too.  So, apart from needing to get the top and bottom surfaces to dry out,  all seems to be going well.  But of course, any tips/advice more than welcome.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2012, 03:23:30 AM »
Looks great, Jeff. So will you be sampling around June 16th?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2012, 04:54:45 AM »
Hi Boofer,

Keeping an open mind about the sample date.  I want to try and get the dampness under control.  It could be the needle point mat is holding the moisture in the holes.  It just occurred to me now that the mat is one of the small hole mats, so I just went and cut a larger hole mat to fit the box.  That, hopefully, will not hold water in the holes.  Will see.  Anyway, the cut date will depend upon what's happening to the rind I think.  Fortunately, I think the interior is holding up well, and the blue seems to be developing in there well enough.  So, there is, as always, hope.

- Jeff

T-Bird

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2012, 11:53:43 PM »
This one's going to be outstanding I bet!

JeffHamm

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2012, 02:21:11 AM »
I'm hoping!  Some friends are comming over this weekend, so although it's a bit early, we may cut into it this Saturday.  Vanessa doesn't like it too sharp and spicy, so younger is safer I think.  Can always age it longer if it's not quite there yet.

It developed some linens on the top and bottom faces, so those remained a bit dampish, but I think it's doing ok. 

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2012, 05:17:13 AM »
Alright, we'll be waiting for the verdict after the weekend...and pics if you get them.

I'm with Vanessa...not too sharp & spicey.  :D

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2012, 04:52:35 PM »
The wife and I like em sharp-n-spicy :P My first one had some sharpness to it, not enough blue bite, the last one has some bite and shapness but for us not enough, although they both seem to get better with age :o
I will be starting another one this week ;D am going to tweak my recipe a little more and will let it age longer than 12 weeks (if possible ::))
Once you cut this and taste your's I am betting you are going to love it, I know I can critique my blue's but we still love em ^-^ 
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

JeffHamm

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2012, 06:43:24 PM »
Looks like this one will survive another week.  The kids have both been down with a tummy bug, and so we decided to put off having our friends over until the following weekend.  Of course, the day after cancelling both kids are now fighting fit!  Oh well, next weekend the blue will be over 60 days and that was the target for aging so it works out. 

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2012, 06:24:30 PM »
Hi,

Well, it's 63 days today.  Friends will be comming over, so we're cutting into this one later.  It's weighed in at 998g.  Developed a b.linens skin as well.  Will see how it things are a bit later today.  Fingers crossed it's ok.

-  Jeff