Author Topic: Formally...Fourme d'Ambert (#2)  (Read 14071 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Formally...Fourme d'Ambert (#2)
« on: April 14, 2012, 06:17:13 AM »
Okay, let’s try this again.

Today I’m remaking Fourme d’Amberg. My first effort from last Friday has barely dried in the cave. I am determined to correct a few missteps with this make and, at the same time, have comparative cheeses approaching maturity simultaneously. Woo woo!

The main problem I faced a week ago was a pH that declined at a snail’s pace. At the end, I had spent around 18 hours tending to that cheese, hoping for the pH to drop.

This make will start off smaller. I am using half the milk and moving to the large Bûcheron mold which is smaller in volume than the Cheddar-Swiss mold I used last week. I will be using dry cultures to acidify rather than mother culture. I am still learning the ins and outs of MCs so that might be part of the problem. I will be using a slurry from a Fourme d’Amberg I just happened to have in my fridge.

While I was picking up my milk today, I was fortunate to be able to also get the injector and what I expected to be difficult to find…Vouvray wine. I won’t inject the cheese I did last Friday, but I will for today’s make.

Following Sailor’s advice, I have included a little helveticus in this make to help stabilize proteolysis and acidify by converting residual lactose. I’m hoping the LM057 will create cavities which the blue can then fill.

Starting milk pH:  6.83

2 gallons Twin Brook Creamery whole milk
1 pint Twin Brook Creamery whipping cream
¼ tsp Kazu (LL, LC, LD, LH)
1/32 tsp LM057
¼ tsp CACL
1/32 tsp Renco dry calf rennet

I am again loosely following the recipe from 200 Easy Homemade Cheeses.

Heated milk to 90°F. Stirred in cultures and slurry.
Preripen for 15 min.

pH: 6.40  (target: 6.45)
Stir in CACL and rennet.
Floc time: 10 minutes
Using 4x factor, amount of time to wait before cutting: 40 minutes

pH: ___?___  (target: 6.45) I meant to record the pH, but it slipped by.
Cut curds to ½ inch.
Maintain 90°F, stirring gently for 1 hour 20 minutes until curds are small and firm. Let settle. Curds are not as dry and rubbery as those in last week’s make.

pH: 5.90  (target: 6.40) (Here I was waiting for the pH to drop...and then...BAM! This is after 5 hours ripening.)
Remove whey down to surface of curds, reserving 1 gallon whey for brine.
Ladle curds into prepared Bûcheron mold lined with Plyban (the Plyban didn't work so I ditched it.). For the record, I could have used a bit more curd to fill the mold...perhaps another half gallon milk.

Mold sits on a small needlepoint mat which is placed in a small kettle for pressing. Pressing will be done in the kettle using the Dutch press with just the weight of the lever arm and piston (11lbs). Once all curds are in the mold, press for 1 hour, redress, and press for 8 additional hours.

pH: 5.10  (target: 4.85)
After pressing, remove the cheese from the mold and brine it for 4 hours, flip it, and brine for 4 more hours.

Dry it at room temperature for 2 days.
Pierce it with prepared knitting needle.
Place it in a minicave and into one of the caves for ripening.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

Re: Formally...Fourme d'Ambert (#2)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 07:13:54 AM »
This will be an interesting experiment.  It's a good thing this one is smaller, as that will ensure you don't confuse the two when they both start walking around! :)  Of course, any difference could be due to the form factor I suppose?  Oh well, one can always make another if necessary.  It's all in the name of science.

- Jeff

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 02:03:26 PM »
Looks very nice Boof after reading about your last one and injecting it got me thinkin hec of an idea on the turkey injector :)
just another tool I will have to justify to the wife :-\
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

hoeklijn

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 04:09:45 PM »
Keep us posted Boofer! My Fourme d'Ambert's are still in the cave, however, I don't think they deserve the name. Because I had to use my Gouda moulds, they don't have the right shape and they even became a bit flatter. But they are blue, absolutely! It's my first try with a real blue, I only made Cambozola with PR until now. But today I bought one meter of PVC pipe 6 1/4 inch wide and started to make some moulds out of it. First one will be for Blue Stilton and then I will make some Camembert moulds....

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 07:09:59 PM »
This will be an interesting experiment.  It's a good thing this one is smaller, as that will ensure you don't confuse the two when they both start walking around! :)  Of course, any difference could be due to the form factor I suppose?  Oh well, one can always make another if necessary.  It's all in the name of science.

- Jeff
The form factor is different, the blue slurry is different, this one will be injected with Vouvray, and the acidifying culture is different. But, yes, all in the name of science...cheese science.

Keep us posted Boofer! My Fourme d'Ambert's are still in the cave, however, I don't think they deserve the name. Because I had to use my Gouda moulds, they don't have the right shape and they even became a bit flatter. But they are blue, absolutely! It's my first try with a real blue, I only made Cambozola with PR until now. But today I bought one meter of PVC pipe 6 1/4 inch wide and started to make some moulds out of it. First one will be for Blue Stilton and then I will make some Camembert moulds....
Alright! Looking forward to tracking your progress and seeing those Fourme d'Ambert cheeses you are working on now.

With the height of this Fourme d'Ambert cheese I ran into process problems I had not encountered with any of my previous 46 cheeses. Most of my previous cheeses had used a standard Tomme mold or something equally small. Locating a minicave (ripening box) would be difficult. Then, if I found a suitable one, how could I fit it into my caves? I would have to remove a shelf or two. That was not an option. I have cheeses on all the shelves. Then I saw that there was space in the door of the white cave for, I guess, a gallon of milk. Voilà! Problem solved...shelves stay in place...and I already had the minicave. I love it!  8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 12:42:33 AM »
Happened across this thread that seems to give a shout out for the Vouvray treatment. I am encouraged.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 11:46:01 PM »
Pierced this afternoon and put into the cave. When withdrawing the knitting needle, there was a slight creaminess adhering to it. I realize it is really early in the course of events, but that shows real promise for this cheese. I do believe it is going to be softer and creamier than the Reluctant one.

Fingers crossed.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 02:55:30 AM »
Good luck Boofer!

Brie

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 01:27:06 AM »
Good looking Fourme, Boof!  I haven't been around for awhile--nice to see your progression and love your pics!.  This is such a tasty cheese--I did inject (as opposed to cutting and pouring). Don't skimp on the Vouvray  quality--it is cheese, the  center of the universe! My success was that I formed the (veining) holes with a skewer; because it is a creamier cheese, I re-poked several times. The Vouvray  was not injected until week four--after I could see that the veins had formed.
Keep us posted!

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 02:19:42 AM »
So many cheeses not enough time :-\
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 01:23:27 PM »
Good looking Fourme, Boof!  I haven't been around for awhile--nice to see your progression and love your pics!.  This is such a tasty cheese--I did inject (as opposed to cutting and pouring). Don't skimp on the Vouvray  quality--it is cheese, the  center of the universe! My success was that I formed the (veining) holes with a skewer; because it is a creamier cheese, I re-poked several times. The Vouvray  was not injected until week four--after I could see that the veins had formed.
Keep us posted!
Thanks, Brie. I'm following your lead. Thanks for the tip on when to inject...I wasn't sure about that.

I had two types of Vouvray to pick from at my local store. I picked both. I'll have to sample each one to know what to go with.  ;)
After your Fourme experiences, you would recommend injecting with Vouvray...yes? I have two makes and intended to only inject one so I could possibly compare/distinguish the difference.

So what have you been up to? We've missed you.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 03:12:14 AM »
Boofer your slury just made me shiver! :-\

Hi Brie!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 08:06:05 PM »
Boofer your slury just made me shiver! :-\
Why?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 11:00:48 PM »
And I'm a silly southern sailor savoring slurry shiver. 8)

T-Bird

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 11:45:04 AM »
dang sailor! I can't even write that! let alone say it! Good looking cheese Boof. I will have to admit tho, I had to wikipedia Fourme d' Ambert to find out what it was and as far as I know, I've never even seen a bottle of Vouvray. You people are really bringing culture to this redneck!