Author Topic: Cleaning - Fridge Cheese Cave  (Read 2319 times)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Cleaning - Fridge Cheese Cave
« on: April 22, 2012, 02:41:59 PM »
Would anyone know if a scrub-down of the interior with a vinegar, chlorine and soap solution do the trick.  Those green mold spores are so tiny, I worry every time I open the door to check on my cheese (I have a separate refrigerator for the blues/greens), but somehow, they got in my other cave.

Tomer1

Re: Cleaning - Fridge Cheese Cave
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 03:13:48 PM »
Never mix bleach with any other chemicals (other then water), lowering the pH of bleach can be extremly hazardess.
There are other surface sanitizers out there which are efficient and dont have a potent odor . Starsan for example.

But yes, you can use a bleach solution to sanitize your fridge but transfer your cheeses someplace alse mean while so they dont "catch" any of that strong odor.
After scrubing it ,leave it open to ventilate.  when it no longer smells you can return your cheese.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 03:22:44 PM by Tomer1 »

tinysar

Re: Cleaning - Fridge Cheese Cave
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 11:41:25 AM »
What he said. But really, really don't mix all those things together. You can use all of those cleaning products, but use them separately, and rinse the surfaces with water in between. You mix bleach with the wrong thing and you end up with chlorine gas. And yes, that's as bad as it sounds - the stuff has been used as a chemical warfare agent. A few years ago I was mildly affected when incompetent cleaners in my workplace inadvertently gassed the building via this reaction, and I do not recommend the experience.