Author Topic: Want to make a grana type  (Read 2481 times)

Mycroft999

Want to make a grana type
« on: April 17, 2012, 07:18:23 AM »
Hi everyone,
Firstly I'd like to say thanks to all of you for putting you ideas and experiences up for newbies like me to steal.
I've make six cheese so far...cheddar types and blue types (if I can find a way of uploading pictures from my iPad I'll add a photo) and now I'd like to try a Parmesan type which might be ready in time for Christmas. But I have a few questions....
I use supermarket milk that I add CaCl to, I use animal rennet and for my previous cheeses a generic meso culture that is a mixture of 3 or 4 bacteria I can't spell. Blue cheese had their penicillium from a very good Stilton and things seem to be going according to plan.
Getting hold of lipase won't be difficult, although the wiki recipe on this forum doesn't specify it. Goats milk is available at the same shop as my usual milk ( both full fat and 2%).... But a thermo culture is proving to be expensive to get hold of. I have the capacity to make cheese from 5 litres of milk... But could push it to 10 with the risk of the pan toppling off the cooker and the cultures I can buy are enough to treat much much more. I also have a pH meter...which I don't entirely trust.
So my questions are.....
Lipase, is it vital?
Can I use a live yoghurt culture as the bacteria in that withstand the temperatures?
I am not trying to make a Parmesan....I don't live near Parma!.....just something similar. I make a pretty mean version of Parma ham that suits me and is delicious by just copying the general technique and I am hoping the same will hold true for a grating cheese.
Any ideas chaps?
(can't upload photos from this.....rats!)

Simon

JeffHamm

Re: Want to make a grana type
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 05:26:50 PM »
Hi,

Welcome to the board! 

I've not made a parm before, and only one romano (which is now over a year old, but as of yet untested).  However, my understanding is that lipase is not essential, but you will get a different flavour.  I think you could add some goat's milk though.  Say, 3 L cow and 2 goat?

And yes, the yogurt will work fine for a thermo culture.

- Jeff

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:38:33 PM »
I made a grana from plain yogurt (its S.T+L.bulgaricus) and it turned out fine. I used mild Lipase and it gave the cheese that typical aroma very quickly (perhaps 2-3 months into aging).   

Goats milk is usually ultra heat treated so I would avoid it.

Do follow a certain recipe for successful cheese. 

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:49:32 PM »
Good point Tomer1 on the UHT for goat's milk.  If you use goat's milk make sure it's not ultra heat treated.  Hmmm, it might be that even regular pasteurization destroys the natural lipase because I think raw cow's milk has some, just less than goats (but I could be wrong here).

- Jeff

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 09:51:18 PM »
Your right, its destroyed by heat.   thats one reason raw milk should be used if not using lipase :)

Mycroft999

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 08:57:48 AM »
Thanks for the help chaps,
I've ordered the lipase (from the USA as it's half the price) and when it gets here it'll be full steam ahead

JeffHamm

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 06:27:09 AM »
Oh yah, bit late on this, but when you get your lipase, I would recommend not being heavy handed.  A lot of recipies seem to say 1/4 tsp for a 10 L make.  I've made a couple cheeses with lipase and used that amount, and in the future I'll be backing down to 1/8th I think.  I have calf lipase, and I've found the 1/4 tsp is a bit strong.  Fine if you grate it on something with strong flavours as well (i.e. Spagetti Bolongase), but if you want something more subtle, I would suggest backing it down.

- Jeff