Author Topic: Pressed Cheese Aging - Excessive Dehydration, Recommendations?  (Read 1902 times)

Annie

So, I have a broken fridge I keep my cheeses in. Oddly enough, it broke in such a way that its temp is just about 50 degrees! (No, I didn't do anything to it ;))

The problem is that the aged cheeses, like parm, get a nice rind on them, but eventually just dry completely out. right now I have some in there with beautiful rinds, just like in the store!!!! <<small joke; and I would like to keep them looking good instead of getting all dried out. The book says after a few months I can put olive oil on them, but it's only been a couple of weeks.

The book also says keeping them in a special container will help with that, but I don't have a special container, and I am scared to put them into plastic bags.

(I guess this is the point at which I would wax a waxed cheese?)

Thanks for any help :)

linuxboy

Re: Pressed Cheese Aging - Excessive Dehydration, Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 07:25:29 PM »
How are you maintaining humidity and what is the humidity reading now?

Annie

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 07:53:33 PM »
How are you maintaining humidity and what is the humidity reading now?
I don't know how to do either. We live in a high-humidity area, but it is in a fridge. Thanks :)

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 10:21:09 PM »
First, treat your fridge with a hygrometer (costs less then 5$ off ebay).
It can be as low as 50-70% RH in some fridges which is why your cheese dries out.

Vacuum sealing or waxing is another option leaving the need to control humidity (about 85% is what your looking for with hard cheeses)

Annie

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 10:37:11 PM »
First, treat your fridge with a hygrometer (costs less then 5$ off ebay).
Wow! Something I can barely pronounce, but still easily afford!

It can be as low as 50-70% RH in some fridges which is why your cheese dries out.

Vacuum sealing or waxing is another option leaving the need to control humidity (about 85% is what your looking for with hard cheeses)
So, I was afraid that if I waxed or sealed a cheese that didn't call for that in the instructions that it might be bad for it. But it wouldn't be bad for it? (This will solve a ton of my problems :) I"m holding off on the excitement until I hear from you!)

Thanks so much!!!!