Author Topic: Another newbie Caerphilly  (Read 1955 times)

77grundy

Another newbie Caerphilly
« on: April 19, 2012, 02:48:56 AM »

Hello folks,

Had a go at my first cheese nearly 3 weeks ago and made a Caerphilly, and then another the week after. In the picture the one on the left is the first cheese and it is just a few days away from being devoured (all being well!). The second, on the right, I might try and age for a few weeks longer.

All seems to be going well so far. The rinds seemed like they developed quite well although they don't seem to be as yellow as some other peoples, but that could be the milk perhaps (store bought cow). Some green/black mould spots, as well as some white patches of fluff have appeared on both, but have scraped most off and washed with brine. Yellow spots on #1 are where some of the moulds were.

Anyway, looking forward to trying them. Will post more pictures after the cutting ceremony!

Grundy.

JeffHamm

Re: Another newbie Caerphilly
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 03:32:10 AM »
Welcome to the board!  Those are two nice looking cheeses, well done.  I find keeping a nail brush to brush them is a good way to keep the moulds down.  They will often develop a white mould that doesn't grow really tall, just sort of dusts the surface (might even feel a bit scratchy, like sandpaper). 

Anyway, look forward to seeing a photo of the insides when you cut them, and post your tasting impressions!  But don't forget to let the cheese warm up  to room temperature before tasting.  Let it sit out for half and hour or an hour.  It's worth the wait.

- Jeff

Threelittlepiggiescheese

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 12:41:51 PM »
how are they doing? It has been 3 weeks since your last post so one should be getting devoured soon  >:D

77grundy

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 10:40:26 PM »
Hey there,

Sorry for the late reply. Very rude of me I know, but I have been moving house plus other very busy things!

Both cheeses turned out excellent and seemed to just get creamier over time. Developed quite a bit of musty smelling grey/green mould but I just scrapped that off and ate it. Didn't seem to do me any harm! The picture is at around 10 weeks old I think.

Both cheeses are finished now, except for one small and extremely mouldy piece lurking in the fridge, but I will definitely be making more when I get some time. The house has an old stone walled basement, so should be good conditions for setting up a cheese cave, plus a root cellar, and a wine and beer cave!!

Grundy