Author Topic: Attempting something like Fourme d' Ambert  (Read 1666 times)

hoeklijn

Attempting something like Fourme d' Ambert
« on: April 19, 2012, 05:56:12 AM »
Like I mentioned earlier in Boofer's topic about Fourme d'Ambert, I also tried to make something like that. Besides some very good Cambozola's my first attempt on a real blue. First problem was my lack of the right moulds for that, so I used the only moulds I had for pressed cheeses, 2 Kadova's for 1 kg and one for half a kilo. After brining the wheels somehow flattened and became less high. In the beginning of the cave period ( which is  almost 3 weeks now) I rubbed them a few time with salt, to slow down the blue development on the rind. Yesterday evening I followed an advice I read in Boofer's thread and I wrapped one in wax paper and let one unwrapped to see how the natural rind would develop. And that left one, the small one. I couldn't resist and I cut it. And I had to taste it of course, all in the name of science, or something like that.
Rind a bit too salty, probably due to the rubbing with salt, firm closed texture with good developed veins of blue. And a good taste, reminding me of a piece of blue Stilton I purchased a couple of weeks ago. Did it taste like Fourme d'Ambert? I have no idea, because I never had that. It certainly does not look like it ;D

JeffHamm

Re: Attempting something like Fourme d' Ambert
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 07:00:27 AM »
Looking good!  Sounds like the taste is acceptable as well.  I think as it ages the salt in the rind will reduce, so the others may turn out just fine. 

- Jeff

hoeklijn

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 12:41:43 PM »
Well, Jeff, if that's the case, I'm looking really forward to the next is cut....

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 01:43:20 PM »
It looks like the core has a bit more ripening to do. You can see a definite difference in color between the rind and the core.

Looks like minimal but excellent bluing. Also looks like the paste is creamy.

I pierced mine and when I checked the next day or so, the holes had all but closed. I'll have to repierce to keep the air accessible to the inner blue.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

hoeklijn

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 03:31:43 PM »
I used some kind of "mini sword" we use for the BBQ for piercing, of course after sterilising the thing. Advantage is that the blade is somewhat thicker and wider and it took some time to close for the holes. But I'm thinking about re-piercing both wheels, just to try. They are more and more becoming my "experimental blues". I hope at the end to be singing the blues  ^-^

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 06:02:10 AM »
I hope at the end to be singing the blues  ^-^.
I'm sure you will be.   8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

hoeklijn

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 06:44:50 PM »
I noticed that the rind on the unwrapped wheel became dryer and decided to unwrap the other one again. I also pierced them both for the second time I'm giving them some air every day now and the smell is certainly developing (According to my wife they stink...).