Author Topic: thecheesewhey.com & Website Promotion  (Read 4676 times)

Likesspace

thecheesewhey.com & Website Promotion
« on: February 07, 2009, 11:25:38 PM »
Carter....
Is there a way you can make your website more prominent on search engines such as google?
I am certain that you have the best home cheese making press on the market but I keep googling "cheese press" and your site never seems to come up.
I have nothing at all in this, other than the fact that I know how good your press works (I'm using it right now and am still amazed at the great job it does) and I'd love for you to get this product out to the public.
I know absolutely nothing about how to list websites on the different search engines but hopefully someone can chime in here (or maybe you already know).
You have a great site and a great product. Now all you need is exposure.

Dave

Cheese Head

thecheesewhey.com & Website Promotion
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 12:35:21 AM »
Dave, google and similar live.com and yahoo search engine each use their own proprietary algorithm for their search engine results, there is a whole world out there of people playing cat and mouse trying to get their website to be #1 hit. Basically I think it is a combination of a website's popularity, credibility (including links from other sites), and age.

chilipepper

Re: thecheesewhey.com & Website Promotion
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 06:16:48 AM »
Actually, with Google especially your ranking is really affected by the caliber of the site that link to your site.  So in the case of cheeseforum.org, simple posts that say how awesome the equipment you purchased from thecheeseway.com was.

Google is a really funny and fairly organic algorithm.  The more content Carter can update and keep current on his site the better off it will be as well. Google will learn how often your site changes and then re-visit it based on your schedules of updates to make sure its database has the most recent index of your site.  As John eluded to there are people out there with full time jobs trying to optimize their search engine rankings. 

Still, in this market the most effective advertising is word of mouth.  So that is the best we can do from our sideline vantage point.

Likesspace

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 01:05:05 PM »
Wow, I had no idea so much was involved.
I was hoping there was a way that Carter could simply promote the site more and get a higher number of hits as a result.
Thanks for the information guys.
Hopefully all that are interested in cheesemaking will eventually find their way to his site.

Dave

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 05:44:02 PM »
The other way of promoting the site is via paid adverts such as Google Adwords, which is the other side of the coin to Google Adsense which is where a website gets paid when visitors click on an advert, like I have on the website.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 07:46:34 PM »
Just noticed this thread. Thanks for all the help guys. Have been concentrating so much on building equipment and getting my site working I haven't had much time to do anything else. I drove by google yesterday. I'll be looking into this soon. Thanks for the concern Dave, I appreciate the help.

cheesenovice

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 02:28:30 PM »
Hi.

All the other guys above this post are correct with their advice.

I build websites for a living and I know a thing or two about promoting a site and my advice for you are:

Optimize your website for search engines. google up "SEO" and you will learn a lot of techniques
I went to your site and notice that your title (the text across the title bar of the browser) just says thecheesewhey.com)- that is not considered "optimized". Change the title to the name of the product that you are trying to promote plus a little description (i.e. finest home and professional cheese making equipment) - there's a lot more to this but it's gonna take me a lot of time if I where to explain the details.
somebody suggested adwords. by all means go for it but be careful not to target keywords that a lot of people are using- unless you have a big budget.
promote your links to forums and classifieds.
[/list]

I think you have a good product to sell and finding a niche wont be a problem. Promote your site with proper SEO techniques and you will reap the rewards.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 07:09:13 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Right now thought it would be worth while to hire someone to do that, if it's cheap. It is not my main business and I have so much other things on my plate. I will probably get to it in a month or two.

jackdag

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 10:05:48 PM »
Try Copernic software