Author Topic: Hello from Kentucky!  (Read 993 times)

Tamraclove

Hello from Kentucky!
« on: April 19, 2012, 06:17:54 PM »
Hello!  I am Carrie - a brand new cheese maker (none yet!) in Berea, ky, just south of Lexington.  I bought Ricki Carrol's beginning cheese making kit, and I hope to make my first cheese in the next week or 2.  I also bought her book, and now I want to go make another order for all those extra starters and molds!!

My DH and I are both handy, and I'm planning to make a PVC cheese press.  I've read all the pros and cons, and I've decided that I'm not too bothered about possible leeching over the course of a few hours of pressing.

I'm super excited to get going!!  Hopefully I can whip up some 30 minute mozz today or tomorrow, then some quick soft cheese to hold me over while I finish my press.  Any advice on my press would be greatly appreciated!

beechercreature

Re: Hello from Kentucky!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 07:05:15 PM »
welcome to the site!

I'd look into making a dutch style press. There are a number of build threads here with a ton of good info in them.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:10:18 PM »
Hi Carrie,

I am a professional artisan cheese maker in Lexington. I carry lots of supplies and I do classes. Glad to have you on the Forum.

www.boonecreekcreamery.com

Ed

Tamraclove

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 01:55:23 AM »
Hooray!  I was not looking forward to ordering online whenever I needed new supplies!

I have seen the Dutch press, and it looks to be quite simple and handy.  I shall inquire further!

susanky

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 12:56:27 PM »
Hello Carrie!  I have been to Sailor's class.  They are EXCELLENT!!  You are fortunate to be so close to him there.  He is a true professional!  Good luck with your cheesemaking adventures.  I am a bit further away in Northern KY.
Susan

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 02:49:58 AM »
Welcome Carrie.
You are very fotunate to be so close to Ed (aka Sailor) he really knows his chit! We all have a great deal of respect for him as a cheese maker and a a friend.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 12:43:19 PM »
Welcome Carrie, for data mining this forum, in addition to mooching through different Boards, the search tool is useful if you have explicit terms, also there is a FAQ on it for power users, have fun!