Author Topic: Using Raw Milk?  (Read 1438 times)

Moski

Using Raw Milk?
« on: April 20, 2012, 05:11:29 AM »
I made three cams back on 4-11-12 and they are coming along nicely at 46f. My question is this, I used raw milk in the make. I know I'd have to hold above 35f for 60 days for sale but these are for personal use. How long need I hold them before consumption?

hoeklijn

Re: Using Raw Milk?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 05:37:42 AM »
As far as I'm aware consuming within 60 days might only be harmful for women that are pregnant. I drink raw milk and eat sometimes cheese that is younger than 60 days and never had any problems with that, food does always be treated with care for sanity. But I always tell women that my cheese is from raw milk and if it's younger than 60 days or not. I heard that in some American states it's against the law to use raw milk...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 06:15:20 AM »
You should know and trust who or where your raw milk comes from.

It's sad but true that some of these United States do outlaw the sale and/or use of raw milk. I left California several years ago. There were only two raw milk dairies in the entire state and the California State Department of Agriculture was trying to legislate them out of existence. Fortunately, a grassroots movement stopped it...for now.

Why is it so difficult for the politicians to just let the people they are supposed to represent have the natural foods in their lives?

Sorry...off my soapbox now.  ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

george

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 10:02:21 AM »
Why is it so difficult for the politicians to just let the people they are supposed to represent have the natural foods in their lives?

Because, Boofer my friend, according to the FDA, there is no fundamental right to one's own bodily and physical health.

*steps off own soapbox*

Moski

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 11:55:21 AM »
Here in Pennsylvania its legal for sale but the dairies are closely regulated. The milk was from a dairy one county over, purchased from a local natural foods store. I was hearing a buzz and thought I'd ask those more familiar. I was concerned with tryiing to hold down ripening for 60 days when these seen on track for 30.

Frotte La Tomme

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 12:00:30 PM »
21 days is a good minimum but 30 day camembert is better.  They should go in the fridge next week.
If your cheese has coliforms, you can wait 60 days and it is still going to be unhealthy.

*is that soap or old chevre?*

Tomer1

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 08:37:52 PM »
Coliforms can come down in cell count as cheese matures.   I was just reading about it the other day in a spanish naturally acidified raw blue cheese.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 08:52:36 PM »
Coliforms can come down in cell count as cheese matures.
Is that true?

While you're pondering that, chew on this.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Tomer1

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »