Author Topic: syneresis in kefir and locust been gum  (Read 2857 times)

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
syneresis in kefir and locust been gum
« on: June 04, 2012, 01:08:35 AM »
Does anyone have any experience in preventing syneresis in yogurt/kefir using vegetable gums?  I am thinking of using locust been gum.

NVD.

ooptec

Re: syneresis in kefir and locust been gum
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 05:49:46 PM »
n the processing of dairy milk, for example during cheese making, syneresis is the formation of the curd due to the sudden removal of the hydrophilic macropeptides, which causes an imbalance in intermolecular forces. Bonds between hydrophobic sites start to develop and are enforced by calcium bonds which form as the water molecules in the micelles start to leave the structure. This process is usually referred to as the phase of coagulation and syneresis. The splitting of the bond between residues 105 and 106 in the κ-casein molecule is often called the primary phase of the rennet action, while the phase of coagulation and syneresis is referred to as the secondary phase.

Had to look it up

cheers

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 10:19:38 PM »
Thanks ooptec.

Yes I understand the syneresis process but I want to prevent it in yogurt/kefir.  I want to know if anyone has used locust bean gum to prevent/reduce the rate of syneresis.

NVD>

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:02:02 PM »
ooptec, that process is for enzyme-enduced coagulation. Does not apply to lactic, which is kefir.

NVD, locust bean will thicken and prevent syneresis, but will not help a lactic gel combat cleave forces. If you're after smooth texture, it should work.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 03:07:54 AM »
My goal is to stop whey settling to the top of the kefir.  My other option is pectin.  I don't need any thickening so much as stopping the whey from coming out.

NVD.

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 03:12:02 AM »
right, but think about the dynamics. To make the water more sticky with casein, need to reinforce the lactic gel. If you do this, typical way is to create a secondary capacity to retain water, such as by using a polysaccharide chain. This will both thicken and retain water. It's hard to just do one, to retain the shear in a lactic gel, while increasing its moisture retention capacity.