Author Topic: Copying probiotic yoghurt  (Read 5976 times)

MrsKK

Re: Copying probiotic yoghurt
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 08:13:36 PM »
Which yogurt culture did you buy, Debi?  I notice that they are carrying a culture with probiotics added.  Maybe that's the answer to your needs, Zoey!

BTW, Debi, I've got a set of the Bicentennial canning jars, too!  I think I still have all nine of them and I know I've still got the box.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 02:48:39 AM »
I bought the  ABY 612 with probiotics.

Karen - I used to have 300 of them. Started my canning carrer back then as a young newly wed under Mama's tutlage. Over the years as I gave stuff to people and never got them back and I broke more than a few. I think I may have about 30 left. I really loved those jars too.  :-\

Zoey

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 05:27:29 PM »
I'm getting thick, wonderful yogurt now with my store bought Activia, which I can get here in single 125g boxes. So I think I'm sticking to this. But it's good to know that probiotic culture powders are available, just in case they stop selling the small portions.

Thanks for the flavoring tips as well. I need to flavor mine in advance since I'm mainly doing this for my hubby and he is used to the store bought, flavored ones and my hobby yogurt making only appeals to him if there's no added effort for him involved. :)

I'm flavoring with a sugar-berries-paste that I make by letting the berries and sugar boil for a few minutes. I cut the strawberries a bit smaller, but blueberries etc are ok to be whole.

ooptec

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 06:27:27 PM »
hey,

Yogurt (ordinary) might be more a yogurt specific culture but wouldn't the ultimate PRO-BIOTIC yogurt be strained kefir?

Also bonus of room temp process.

Maybe not tho, would be interesting to hear opinions.

cheers