Author Topic: Har Grating Cheeses - Cultures TA061 & LH100 Ratio's & Lipase Discussion  (Read 2709 times)

tal_d1

What is the usage relation % between the ta061 and lh100 ?

linuxboy

For what cheese? Not sure what you're asking. To a degree, it's up to the cheesemaker.

tal_d1

Parmesan, romano , swiss

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Like Linixboy said it is pretty much up to the cheesemaker. As for me personally ... about 50-50 for all of the above.

zenith1

I agree with Debi and LB. I use a 50/50 mix for those types of cheese and add lipase to the Romano to give it a more Pecorino type profile.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
There are good recipes posted here you should follow at least once then tweak it to make it your own if need be.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
I am making a Swiss tomorow I have decided to use 3/8-tsp TA abd !/4-tsp LH with 1/8-tsp PS :-\
I don't know if this is right , just goin for it in 5 gal. raw/unpasteurized milk ::)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Sailor Con Queso

H-K-J

I would use a 50/50 blend for Swiss. If you use a higher proportion of the TA, you are going to get much stronger acidification than necessary.

tal_d1

Hi zenith1, no need for lipase for Parmesan ?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
Yes use lipase in parms and romanos but not in the swiss types.

zenith1

Sorry Deb-I usually totally agree with you but in this case I think it is really a mater of taste. I think with the tad more LH than MA and the proper aging you can have a good tasting Parm-for my taste's.

Sailor Con Queso

Have to agree with Deb. She's been making Italian cheeses a long time. I personally wouldn't make parm without lipase. I have parms, Asiagos and Romanos that are now over 2 years old. It would be a darn shame to spend that much time aging a cheese and then find that the taste is flat and lacking the classic Italian flavor. The lipase is what creates that wonderful parm smell. You will even notice the smell just a few days after a make.

I suspect that you meant TA instead of MA, since MA is a mesophile. In any case, a TA/LH blend is also the choice for Emmentals and Swiss style cheeses. TA is a strong acidifier but does not complete lactose conversion. LH completes the conversion and has stronger proteolysis.

zenith1

Correct Sailor,miss typed.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
Keith you can make a great cheese but it's not a real Parm. It'll be more of an aged asiago the a parm. Which by the way is great for grating too.