Author Topic: My 6th Butterkase  (Read 6453 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: My 6th Butterkase
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 05:31:12 AM »
Very nice rind! ...and paste! A cheese to you for fine-tuning this style.

I have got to do a Butterkase with summer milk. Yeah, george, I said it again.  ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

george

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
 ;D

peter

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 04:21:43 AM »
That looks awsome your my hero. I am trying your recipe tomorrow. I have made a valencay, camembert and a buttermilk blue that were all good. I have had trouble with Cheddar, i think it is because i have been pressing cold. Great Job!!!!

JeffHamm

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 07:11:51 AM »
Thanks Peter.  Search the cheddared forum for Lancashire.  That's a nice cheddar type that is ready fairly quick.  Also, look for the "pressing in the pot" suggestion by Sailor.  This helps keep the curds warm for better knitting. 

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 01:40:40 AM »
Finally got around to making a grilled cheese with this one.  The cheese has melted beautifully!  A complete success.  Yah! :)

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 03:23:11 PM »
Excellent!  8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 9
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 03:31:30 PM »
Making a great cheese is like hitting the perfect drive in golf. You know your next one might not be as good but you also know that if you've done it this time you can do it again.

A Cheese for you.
Laissez le rouleau grand fromage - Dave Budge

peter

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 05:16:10 PM »
Jeff,
Thanks again for the recipe and help I tried yor recipe yesterday and it turned out exactly what i wanted. Except I squished it a little in the brine by putting too much weight on it. The pot pressing gave me great knit. Thank you.

JeffHamm

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 08:31:37 PM »
Thanks all!

Peter, I'm glad you found the notes helpful.  Post a photo of your result, and don't forget to update us all (with more photos) as the cheese ages and when you finally give it a taste.  Butterkase should result in a very mild cheese, that should melt well.  It should be ready to eat in as little as 4 weeks, but it doesn't hurt to age it out to a couple months.  I've not aged one for longer, though I'm thinking I'll cut a bit of this and seal it to see what happens to it over time.  Good luck with it.  And do start a thread to document your cheese. (and a cheese to you for an apparently good start)

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 05:01:22 PM »
Jeff, looking over your culture selection it occurs to me that I might be able to mimic it by using my Alp D to cover all bases.  Your opinion?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 08:42:52 PM »
Hi Boofer,

That seems to have everything except the (LMC) Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris, which is in the Flora Danica and Buttermilk and the the brand of yogurt I used advertised itself as containing Lactobacillus Acidophilus, but I don't know what other cultures it would have.  I also don't know if the Lact.Acidophius makes any difference in the end product.  I just picked it up because, well, hey ... A SPARKLY!  I LOVE SPARKLIES! .... :)

That being said, I think what you've chosen will work really well.  I'm keen to hear how it turns out (There, now you have to try it.)

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 12:14:29 AM »
It's all so confusing!  ::) :D

I checked on Danlac's site and think I've got an alternative choice to the Alp D.

MA4001 + LH

Either selection seems do-able. The difference is that Alp D has the added Lactobacillus lactis. Not sure what that would bring to the party.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:19:35 AM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 12:58:36 AM »
Hi Boofer,

Either would work.  The AlpD seems to be closer though.  Mind you the proportions might be quite different to what I ended up using.  I used both FD and buttermilk, which have the same types of cultures but different strains, so they could be producing different acidity profiles to either one alone (and most likely do).  I think it's most likely that as long as your culture choice is similar, it's more the make procedure that determines the outcome.  It's not a long aging cheese, so it's really about getting the texture and mild flavour right.

- Jeff

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 07:23:05 PM »
Very nice paste but it should not have a rind.

JeffHamm

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 08:30:43 PM »
Hi DeejayDebi,

Thanks.  Yah, the rind developed on it's own.  Most of my cheeses develop a natural rind fairly quickly.  Still, it's not  thick into the paste, and can be trimmed off easy enough.

- Jeff