Author Topic: Help needed with Reblochon  (Read 1381 times)

hoeklijn

Help needed with Reblochon
« on: April 28, 2012, 08:52:05 AM »
I am not sure if it's the right board to post this, because indeed I wanted to make Reblochon today but I'm afraid my problem is not Reblochon related. But I'm a bit in a panic....
This morning at 7:15 I picked up 10 liter of raw milk, during milking time at the farm where I always get my cow's milk.
Came home while temp was still at 35C and waited until it cooled down to 30C.
Friday evening I got 6 lumbs of starting culture from the freezer, culture was made from a new bought mother culture that I always use, but I did not use any of this batch earlier. Made it 2 weeks ago. Had it in the fridge for 1 night to melt again.
I also diluted the BL and a tiny bit of PC in some milk on Friday evening.
At 30C I added culture and the mix of BL and PC and waited for 15 minutes, after that I added the rennet.
Rennet is bought in Januari, is always stored in the fridge and is used before without problems. I don't have a PH-meter, never missed it.
According to the recipe in 200 Easy I had to wait for 30 minutes for a clean break. Well, after 30 minutes I still have milk and nothing else...
Anybody any idea? My suspicion is mostly about the starting culture...

hoeklijn

Re: Help needed with Reblochon
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 11:11:30 AM »
After all it seems like it's turning out ok. I took almost 2 hours to get a (not completely) clean break and I decided to give it a try. I never experienced to be so much off time with a recipe, almost one and a half hour difference! After this "delay" I just continued with the recipe and it's in the moulds now, waiting for the first flip.

hoeklijn

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 01:24:21 PM »
mmm, not my luckiest day I guess. Dropped my digital thermometer in the whey and guess what, it made some weird sounds and stopped working....
But the rebs are looking fine after a few flips. On flip to go and then press them

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 02:22:30 PM »
I got 6 lumbs of starting culture from the freezer,
These are what I know as ice cubes, correct? I've waited several hours for my cubes of mother culture or dry culture to acidify enough so that I can proceed with renneting. Never had a problem with coagulation. I've seen mine from 5 minutes (too fast) to 25 minutes (a little too slow), but never failed to set curd. Since I learned about the flocculation technique, I always spin my bowl to check for curd set. Works well every time. I just used fresh Primer Culture that I had made the day before for my second Cheddar. It seemed to acidify faster than the cubes or dry culture.

Seems like you were kind of at a disadvantage starting at such an hour that makes it in the very early morning for folks on this side of the pond. Sounds like frustrating patience paid off though.

Looking forward to seeing your progress, hoeklijn.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

hoeklijn

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 03:00:39 PM »
These are what I know as ice cubes, correct?

That's correct. I'm doing this from day one that I started making cheese, also because it's difficult to find different cultures here. I know found 2 suppliers in Germany thanks to Hande and later I'm going to try there. They don't have Choozit but they mention the used cultures, so maybe I can make a comparison. Nevertheless, after several flips (which was awkward with the big new moulds I made), they are under pressure now. And I learned that although the followers I made were nicely round, it's not a good idea to just put them in, because it's very hard to get them out again  :-[ But with a small cheesecloth around it it's much easier (duh!). But let's turn this story into a real report:
10 liter (about 10 quart) of raw milk
200 ml cream (just fort some extra flavor)
60 ml starting culture
just over 1/8 tsp Brevibacterium Linens plus a pinch of Penicillium Candida
just over 1/4 tsp calf liquid rennet.
Picked up the milk during milking time, when I got home it was still 35C, so I waited until it was 30C/86F
Added the cultures and stirred a minute.
Let it ripen for 15 minutes and added rennet.
Like I said, it took about 105 minutes to coagulate enough.
Cut the curd into pieces about half an inch and let it rest for 10 minutes.
Slightly overheated it, because I reached 36C/96.8F after 30 minutes.
Drained the whey, filled the moulds, flipped them during 2 hours every 30 minutes and now they are under 3 kg weight until tomorrow morning.

On the pictures the container with the rebs. I used 2 small plastic food "buckets" to put the weight in...