Author Topic: Planning a Havarti  (Read 1271 times)

Caseus

Planning a Havarti
« on: April 30, 2012, 06:37:07 AM »
In the near future I will try to make Havarti.  It may not be my next cheese, but it will be soon.  I've read a few helpful threads on the forum, including these:

- Havarti Cheese Making: Five Recipes Compared
 - Havarti With Dill and Onions
 - Havarti #1

I've also read the recipe in 200 Easy Cheeses and in Margaret Morris' book. 

Debi used Aroma B and M-89 in her Havarti With Dill and Onions.  Susan (scasnerkay) used Flora Danica and MM100.   The mesophilic cultures I have on hand are MM100, MA011, Flora Danica, so I'm inclined to use the FD and MM100 like Susan did. 

Is Aroma B the same as Flora Danica?  They seem to have the same bugs in them, but I don't know about proportions.  If they aren't the same, how do they differ? 

What are the typical dimensions of a wheel of Havarti?  If I go with 3 gallons of milk, would a 7 inch diameter by 3.5 inch high Tomme mold be too large?  I also have a smaller Tomme mold, 5.25 inch diameter by 2.5 inch tall.  I'm thinking it might work for 2 gallons of milk.

I've never actually had Havarti.  Is it usually flavored or seasoned with herbs and spices, or is it more typically made plain?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Planning a Havarti
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 06:24:58 PM »
A wheel can be as big or small as you want it to be, but for a softer cheese like harvati I wouldn't make a HUGE wheel because it will take longer to develop internally and tend to dry out. I make them in the 7" tomme mold quite often and it works great.

As for the cultures Flora Dancia and Aroma B do have the same bacteria but in slightly different amounts but either will work. I just seem to like the Aroma B flavor better. I have made Havati with several combinations of cultures and just seem to prefer the flavor of the Aroma B. Could be me, my water, our grass the type of milk who knows?

beechercreature

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 07:36:17 PM »
In the near future I will try to make Havarti.  It may not be my next cheese, but it will be soon.  I've read a few helpful threads on the forum, including these:

I've never actually had Havarti.  Is it usually flavored or seasoned with herbs and spices, or is it more typically made plain?

i've had both the plain and herbed kinds. i'm not a big fan of either, but i prefer the ones with herbs.

it does make a really nice melting cheese on some crusty bread, though.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 07:51:15 PM »
I love it witth onions, roasted and jalapenos

Caseus

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 08:21:10 PM »
Thanks Debi and beecher.   I've been browsing around the net, and it seems that Havarti is very frequently paired with spices, herbs, and chiles.   I'm undecided so far about additions.  I really like the idea of jalepenos, but I'm leaning toward making this one plain.  That will keep it simple and let me evaluate the flavor from the FD and MM100 without anything else getting in the way.  I'm going to go with a three gallon make.

beechercreature

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 08:29:56 PM »
if you're aiming to get a good grasp of the style, definitely make a plain one first. the spices/herbs are a good compliment to the flavor, but they also mask it a bit.

anutcanfly

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 10:21:41 PM »
Sometimes when I'm not sure if I'll like something, I'll split the curd into smaller wheels.  Instead of 1-4 pound cheeses, I'll make 2-2 pound cheeses or 4-1 pound cheeses.  Then you have 4 shots at something you like with minimal getting stuck with something you hate to throw away, but aren't too enthused about having to eat either!

Caseus

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 01:35:31 AM »
I thought of doing that anut, but right now I have my hands full with basic beginner's matters; learning the process and getting a feel for it, being able to achieve consistent results, solving common problems, and so on.  Trying to split my batch to try concurrent variations is going to over tax my meager skills, I'm afraid.  After my disappointing Pepper Jack (my third make), I decided I'll be better served for now by sticking to simple objectives.  I'm quite sure in the future I'll try some split batch variations.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 02:27:39 AM »
A plain havarti is good also. Makes a great cheese toast sandwich!

Caseus

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 08:39:16 PM »
I made the Havarti, and documented it in Cheese #5 Havarti #1