Author Topic: Wensleydale and Derby - peak aging times?  (Read 2567 times)

george

Wensleydale and Derby - peak aging times?
« on: April 30, 2012, 12:59:18 PM »
Well, to make a long story short(er), after my experience with messing around with stirred-curd cheddar recipes trying for a slightly higher moisture content/creaminess and being a bit disappointed with the one that actually hit the target, a comment by Sailor about using a 4 multiplier for Wensleydale made all sorts of bells ring in my head (somewhat deafening for quite some time until I muted them with a Dos Equis or two) - why am I messing around and spending 6-12 months finding out if I got it the way I wanted instead of, oh, I don't know, making a different cheddar type that already has those qualities built in?

Mesa moron sometimes, you know.  It only took me 2 years to figure that one out.  ???

So anyway, I've made one Wensleydale and one Derby so far, using the recipes from 200 Easy as usual.  At the time of the Wensleydale make, I noticed that it said to age for 3 weeks.  Three weeks?  For a cheddar type?  Huh.   I did dutifully open it at 3 weeks to see what it was like - yes, bit higher moisture but extremely bland - although you could tell it definitely had possibilities with further aging.  Originally I'd planned to try it again at 6 weeks, but have since decided to wait for 8 weeks aging before testing again.

And of course, none of those actual details about the Wensleydale have anything to do with my question, I just threw them in there, well, because.

So the question is:

Cave temp is a mostly constant 52-54F, depending on how many cheeses I have in there at any given point.  What would be the aging/affinage target for both Wensleydale and Derby?  When do they peak under those conditions?  (Should note that they're vacuum-bagged.)

Thanks, all!!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:03:56 PM by george (MaryJ) »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Wensleydale and Derby - peak aging times?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 01:37:04 PM »
Mesa moron sometimes, you know.  It only took me 2 years to figure that one out.  ???
And, presumably, a lot of Dos Equis!  ;)

You started my day with a smile, george. Thanks for that.

Maybe that style is particularly suited for the addition of other flavors?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

george

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 02:03:38 PM »
You started my day with a smile, george. Thanks for that.

Well, I may not be a Boy Scout, but I do try to do at least one (preferably three!) good deed every day, so I guess I'm covered for today.   :)

For the flavors, well, you know I'm a big fan of garlic and/or garlic herb cheddar, so those are definitely on the horizon for both of the above types at some point (both just for comparison).  Enough garlic and herbs can hide an awful lot of other deficiencies.  Heh.

The goal has always been to find one/consistently make one that I can eat straight off the plate and love - I do tend to go for the creamier types for that purpose (not trying for a creamy cheddar, just slightly creamy-er).  'Tis my current challenge. 

(And on a totally unrelated note, how weird is that a few days ago I decided that we have to have a neighborhood party somewhere around the 4th of July just so I can make red, white, and blue cheeses for it?  Did another batch of Rebs two days ago (hey, orange is CLOSE to red!), am planning cams and a blue for this week.  Not sure which type of blue yet - if worse comes to worst, I have a batch of Roqueforts going that I could slow down the aging on.)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 01:39:36 PM »
What a clever idea! What a clever girl!  8)

Red, white, and blue cheeses. What a concept!  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 03:12:59 AM »
That would be really kewl!

george

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 09:57:02 AM »
Thanks, you two!  When I first had the idea, I thought it was just me being weird again  ::) - but if that is truly the case, at least now I know I'm not alone!

So.  Perhaps I should rephrase my original question - thusly:

Is there a point PAST which I do NOT want to age Wensleydale or Derby?  (always my fear - you can go forward, but you can't go back!)

JeffHamm

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 06:00:05 PM »
Hi George,

I think Wensleydale is typically sold as a young, crumbly cheddar type, aged 1 or 2 months (4 to 8 weeks).  It should still have a fresh young taste to it, and be crumbly.  You can age it out, and the flavour will lose that young aspect and mellow.  I would be surprised if it "goes bad" and it may well develope some unique characteristics as you take it out to a year or more.  I've made Wensleydale twice, but the first I added sage to and the second aged out to 5 months.  The first melted really well, the 2nd had some issues during aging, but ended up with a nice cheddar flavour, smooth and creamy paste. 

I've only made Derby once, and it was using my own make procedure.  I'm aging it out to see how it does, so I don't know.  I believe Derby can be aged and it developes its own characteristics. 

I would just make a bunch of them, and age them to different targets and decide when you like it best.  Sometimes a cheese is nice young, or quite old, but the middle period ends up being less good than others (teenage cheese, perhaps?)  Anyway, this means it may not be worth the wait to age a cheese six months but take it out to a year or 18 months and you're happy again.  Fun stuff.

- Jeff

george

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 10:34:46 AM »
Oh lordy, Jeff, don't be wishing teenage hormonal cheeses on me!  Can you imagine the chaos they could bring with all that running amok in my cave?  Eeek!!

In any event, thanks for that answer, I'll stop worrying now.  In retrospect, I imagine it IS rather silly to be concerned about over-aging a cheddar-type.   ;D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 05:09:36 PM »
teenage hormonal cheeses
Not something you see every day, I would imagine.  ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 05:13:52 PM »
Hi George,

Still, if you are intending to age something longer, some of the cheddars might benefit from cutting the curds a bit smaller and using a shorter floc multiplier.  I'm thinking the lancaster make, which is intended for quick aging (2-3 months), has been mentioned as one where you would do this.  I was reading around on the web and did find mention of caerphilly being aged over a year too.  That might be another where a few tweaks to reduce moisture might be a good idea to improve long term aging.

- Jeff