Author Topic: Rennet Tablets, Junket - No Curd Formation, Causes?  (Read 6908 times)

somebodyshoottheradio

Rennet Tablets, Junket - No Curd Formation, Causes?
« on: May 02, 2012, 06:40:13 PM »
Hi,
I hope some of you guys can help me and point me in the right direction.

I'm just trying to make my first cheese batch from a recipe that I found on the internet. Something went horribly wrong and when I added the rennet tablets nothing happened. Here is quickly what the recipe calls for:

Heat up milK
Add calcium chloride
Add rennet and let milk sit for 40 min.
Cut up into curds,let the whey drain.
Eat cheese.

The problem is that I heated up the milk, added the calcium, and the rennet and I waited. I waited the 40 mins and nothing( and I mean nothing the milk looks just like regular milk) I waited overnight and the milk looks just as it did in its jug. I don't know what I did wrong honestly, I think I followed the recipe very well but I didn't get any curding at all. Can someone here give me some tips on what I did wrong? Shouldn't at least some curding have occured just because I added the rennet tablets?

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Rennet Tablets, Junket - No Curd Formation, Causes?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
what type tablet are you using and how much did you use?
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

somebodyshoottheradio

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 07:07:50 PM »
I used the Junket Rennet tablets that I found at the local Kroger's. I'm trying to make queso fresco, which looks suspiciously similar to feta except feta is brined. I used 5 quarts of mik and 1/2 a tablet or rennet.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 07:15:35 PM »
How did you dissolve the rennet? what kind of water and temp?

somebodyshoottheradio

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 07:27:39 PM »
I used a 1/4 cup of water to dissolve the tablet then add it to the milk while a friend helped with the stirring. I used regular tap water, but the water.

beechercreature

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 08:37:06 PM »
did you add some cultures or citric acid to acidify the milk? just going on the natural stuff in the cheese would take a while to get things going.

somebodyshoottheradio

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 09:57:21 PM »
No, I didn't add any acids. The recipe didn't say to add anything besides the calcium and rennet. Should I add anything else? Is this milk still salvageable or should I use it for something else?

smilingcalico

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 10:02:47 PM »
Local tap water is often chlorinated. This can stop any active rennet the already dismal junket has. Your best bet is to forget junket and get liquid rennet. You'll never go back. Drink the milk, make tapioca, do something else with it. Sorry.

somebodyshoottheradio

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 10:18:55 PM »
I didn't know that about the rennet. Is the liquid form not affected by chlorinated water? or should I buy a filter or something?

Cheese Head

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 10:23:17 PM »
I would go for more tablet(s) next time. A common problem with tablet rennet is you don't know the age or storage conditions so it may be degraded, if you Search the forum for "Tablet" or "Junket" you'll find several similar problems. Good luck!

smilingcalico

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 10:35:05 PM »
I'm glad you asked, yes, liquid rennet is affected to. Honestly, I've used it, but it is a concern, especially when it is easy enough to get distilled water.  I've never used rennet tablets of any kind. I've only used liquid. I have never had an issue of milk not setting. I won't ever consider tablets because there have been dozens of reports on the site from home cheesemakers with issues. Splurge for the good stuff. If you're just making a gallon or two, a bottle, well chilled in the fridge will last you a good long while.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 12:48:25 AM »
I am begining to wonder if they changed the tablest. I used them for years and although the set is not nearly as firm I made hundreds of cheeses with it.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 03:34:18 AM »
I asked a friend of mine who works at our city water district he said that chlorine  dissipates within a short time, if you pour a glass of water and let it sit you will notice a wight ring on the glass, this is chlorine that has separated from the water but you should boil the water and purify it then let it cool to room temp for use with the rennet.
My experience with Junket rennet is as you have had and have been told to double it as per the recipe recommendation.
I have since changed to dry calf rennet, have not had a failure with curd since (other failures have been my own) ???
 as far as adding acidic cultures (?) all will agree you need one albeit buttermilk (meso) yogurt (thermo) vinegar (acidic).
Others will correct me on this, most importantly, search the forum if you cant get the answer from that ask and you will find out ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/