Author Topic: First Blue  (Read 4262 times)

Tomer1

Re: First Blue
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 10:35:10 AM »
They do clean the rind before wrapping in foil.

Turgid

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 03:09:03 PM »
@Boofer - yes I flip daily. 

I left it in the cave yesterday with the container lid off and it seems to have helped.  The downward facing holes had no ooze.  The rind has a nice sealed feel to it and overall has a firm feel to it.  One softer spot where it slumped a little but it might have been a pocket or something because the slump hasn't got any worse.

Some progress pics for everyone! 

Turgid

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 07:28:13 PM »
Still looking good!  Tomorrow is day-60.  Gonna try for 90 days.  Everything seems good except the ends where it sits have started to get some shiny pink on them.  I dabbed it off with a paper towel soaked in white vinegar and then sprinkled a little salt on those spots.  Is that the proper fix?  Going to keep the humidity a touch less too.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 10:49:55 PM »
I dabbed it off with a paper towel soaked in white vinegar and then sprinkled a little salt on those spots.  Is that the proper fix?  Going to keep the humidity a touch less too.

I had some scary white stuff on my last Stilton and used the same cure (less the salt) helped immensely  ^-^
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Turgid

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 06:52:11 PM »
Well after 105 days I cut into it!  The pink stuff in the piercing hols scares me a little, but the cheese has a great flavor and firm but creamy texture.  The moldy cavities inside the cheese have a slight bit of crunch to them, sort of like tiny bits of rind.  Good stuff though!

Turgid

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 06:21:30 PM »
Anyone have any insight into the texture of the blue in this cheese?  The cavities have an almost crispiness in them, like rind.  And if you zoom in you can see the adjacent cheese looks dry.  Did I age too long?  I thought I had good humidity, any more and pink or white would bloom like crazy.  It's okay but I kind of don't like that harder texture mixed in.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 01:12:49 PM »
How is the taste/flavor? Does it have a bite to it?

Do you smell ammonia?

105 days seems like a pretty long time (even longer than Sailor suggests: 90 days).

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.