Author Topic: Cheese Press  (Read 10207 times)

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
Re: Cheese Press
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 07:10:14 PM »
That was on of its uses " in the old days ", but I doubt that use is recommended any more. There were many things used "in the old days". 50 years from now people will look back and say that same thing about some of the things we do today.

dthelmers

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 08:00:40 PM »
I use food grade mineral oil on my presses because it is easy to do and easy to redo and it is food grade and it has a pleasing look.
You can buy it as food safe wood oil at the lumber yard, or mineral oil at the pharmacy, or in large amounts from STE oil.
As a little adventure, Google mineral oil and you will see MANY uses, for instance Baby Oil is mineral oil with a little smell added. :)
It also really helps to waterproof the wood. It soaks in and keeps moisture out. I use it on my wooden topped work island, which gets a lot of exposure to moisture.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 12:32:58 AM »
Funny how "The good olde days" gets trotted out when we talk about making thing for ourselves but consider the supposedly techo advances in cheese presses, Spring loaded presses, compressed air contraptions, graduated Screw presses - they mostly lack that which these "Good Ole" presses use.  Gravity, currently still causing free fall acceleration of 9.8 meters/sec squared and is reasonably constant no matter where you are and didn't need anything more than a bucket of water to press our cheese and doesn't need adjusting overnight. The making of a cheese press is almost a right of passage or Jedi trails or something similar, it is a very rewarding experience, although my humble  http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8832.0;attach=15805;image press is nothing like those wonderful examples here it is at least functional and produces a wonderful result.  Keep up the good work all who venture into making your own presses, I hope more do :)
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

dthelmers

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 11:24:49 PM »
Beautiful press! Congratulations, good work!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 02:59:27 AM »
Very nice!