Author Topic: Brie #2  (Read 4495 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Brie #2
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 03:20:31 AM »
They do look good. I think we're getting an education on Brie and space utilization here.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

hoeklijn

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 07:51:45 AM »
Thanks for the cheese Jeff. I'm not sure the wrinkles are too bad: The sides were not completely closed after draining and the wheels slightly flattened some more. But after this weekend (if developing on the PC continues like this) I will wrap them in cheesepaper like I used to do with the first Brie's and the Cambozola's I made.
And thanks Boofer for the compliment. As far as I experienced there is a slight condensation on the inside of the lid but without dripping and I swap places with every flip and that's once a day.

hoeklijn

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 06:31:21 AM »
Sad news: Yesterday I threw both wheels away  :(
The development of the PC was stopped and a terrible smell had developed, together with a very light green mold on the surface where no PC had developed. It's hard to describe the smell, because I'm sure I have never smelled something like that before. First thing that becomes into my mind is a mix of sulphur  >:D and ammonia. I cut them both and took a sample from the inside. Tasted young but really good, but I'm pretty sure nobody could be convinced with that smell that this was something you could eat. Also noticed that it had a lot of tiny eyes.
Could this be caused by the blob of soya yogurt I added with the culture?
Anyway, I spent a couple of hours cleaning my cave with water and vinegar and ventilating the loft where the cave is placed....

JeffHamm

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 06:28:45 PM »
That's a shame.  They were looking promising.  For what it's worth, my understanding is that the green mould and smell of amonia usually are signs of it being too humid.  For future reference, you might have been able to wrap and move to a cold fridge (after airing for a couple hours). 

- Jeff

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 12:20:15 AM »
Sorry to hear that - next time you'll kick butt!

hoeklijn

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 07:38:25 AM »
RH is about 90%, temp is 12C. This turned out to be ok in the past for my first Brie and a batch of Cambozola. Strange thing is that my Reblochon (Reblobert...) which had a tiny little bit of PC added did not develop BL but very strong PC and the development of PC on the Brie totally stopped, while they were at the same moment in the cave. Well, next time better luck I hope....