Author Topic: New Immersion Bath  (Read 2100 times)

wharris

New Immersion Bath
« on: May 05, 2012, 09:35:27 PM »
As some may know, my cheese making has been offline for about a year, due to a remodel. 
Basically my old space was taken over, and i built out a new space.
But i lost my old immersion bath heater, and cheese press in the process.  Basically, I'm starting over...
So, I started making my new water bath.

I am finally making progress on my new immersion heater bath.
I am using two 220vac 30amp (6000watt each) heaters to heat my water bath.
I know it’s not safe as pictured. But it’s a work in progress, and when done, it will be safe.  Pictured here is just the first test.  So, the electric terminals are exposed. But they will be properly covered when complete.
My temperature will be controlled via a PID controller. The PID will take input from a thermocouple and my temperature settings.  The PID controller controls a solid state relay that turns the heaters on and off. I also have a water lever sensor that will turn the burners off should the water level fall too low.
Anyway, this is work in progress.  Today was a bit of a milestone in that I was able to heat water in my trough without all my previous gear.  A bit more professional than before I think.

Cheese Head

Re: New Immersion Bath
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 09:43:20 PM »
Great work and great pictures, love that bad boy bath and paddle I'm very very envious of that sink.

Assume you already have a vat to go in that bath, maybe I missed a post thread of yours. How will you periodically change out the bath water, submersible pump or is there a drain towards the floor drain that isn't visible in your pictures?

wharris

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 09:58:29 PM »
Will use the same 24gallon SS pot i've used in the past. (pics here somewhere...)

have not figured out the drain yet. may pump out, or may build a stand and drain. 
If you look close at the plumbing on the sink, you can see that i left room to add a drain for this ......
Still kinda working out those details..

knipknup

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 10:05:07 PM »
What bath? *lusting over the sink*

wharris

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 10:21:57 PM »
LOL,
bought it used, at auction. Sink had a previous life in an Ohio Ice Cream shop.
http://www.fasttrackauction.com/

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 04:50:46 AM »
Your ancestors must have been hammer makers... because you are NAILING IT!

Looking good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 03:20:42 AM »
This is going to be so kewl!