Author Topic: Bitter Orange Marmalade  (Read 3636 times)

Crystal

Bitter Orange Marmalade
« on: May 09, 2012, 12:41:18 AM »
Hey guys,
I made orange marmalade today, go me ;-) my first attempt at jam and canning!

All went well, it jelled beautifully, yeild was great, flavour is heavenly, sweetness is perfect... but, its got a VERY bitter aftertaste... is that normal? Can i make adjustments to the recipe next time to reduce the bitterness?
My recipe said:
6 oranges, peels sliced, fruit chopped. I used australian Navel, no seeds and thinner skin (It didnt say to remove the pith, so i didnt.)
6 cups water
6cups sugar
It also said 2 lemons, but i didnt have any so added 1tsp citric acid instead.

I cooke the oranges in water with tge acid for 5 mins, then let stand overnight.
Next day i boil for 45mins until peel is soft. Then add sugar, return to boil, boil till jelled (tested on a saucer).

Then poured into jars and process.

Pretty basic huh..? Would removing the pith reduce the bittrrness? Or is there something else i dont know about?

tinysar

Re: Bitter Orange Marmalade
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 01:59:15 AM »
Yes, removing pith reduces bitterness. Another method, much easier than carefully peeling all your fruit, is to just slice it up as normal, then soak in cold water overnight - then discard the water the next day and proceed with the recipe. The downside to this method is that some of the natural pectin will be lost when you discard the water - you can increase the pectin by adding orange/lemon juice (about 1 cup for your recipe), or just add pectin powder.

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 08:21:33 AM »
You usually juice the citrus fruit and if whole peels are used they are repeatidly covered in water and boiled (changing the water 2-3 times) to leach out the bitter compounds.
At the last go you add your sugar ,reserved juice and everything alse.
They will still have enough pectin to gel.

Crystal

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 04:20:56 AM »
Right. How about i peel, boil a few times. Chop the fruit and add with the sugar ghe next day. Then boil till jelled? I just dont want to juice the oranges lol, too hard basket!

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 04:00:02 PM »
Sure , you can do that.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 04:05:08 PM »
I normally grate some rind, slice off the rind remove the wedges with  knife and break up the wedges  by pulsing the blender. I kind of like little chunks of orange in my marmalade.

Deejay’s Orange-Lemon Marmalade

5 oranges
1 lemon
2 1/2 cups water
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 package Natural Fruit Jell Pectin
6 cups sugar
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

Sterilize jars and lids.

Carefully grate oranges and lemon rind into a small bowl. Be careful not to disturb the pith.

Cut off all pith and remove wedges with a sharp knife. Remove all seeds and membranes. Place in blender and pulse just enough to break up into tiny pieces.

In a medium sauce pan, combine orange and lemon peel, water and baking soda. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.

Add fruit to peel and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.

Measure five cups of prepared fruit. Combine prepared fruit and pectin in a large sauce pan. Bring to a rolling boil. Stir in sugar and nutmeg and cinnamon return to a rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary. Stir for five minutes. Ladle hot marmalade into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe the top of the jar rim clean.

Place lid on jar and screw on band fingertip tight.

Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

Makes about 6 half-pints.

Sorry I could not find a picture ...