Author Topic: culturing white mould and storing it  (Read 2488 times)

wez

culturing white mould and storing it
« on: May 07, 2012, 08:29:16 PM »
as a newbie, i have gone out and brought some dried culture for the starter and have mixed in into a litre or mik left it for 24 hours and then filled some ice cube freezer bags with it so i can use it later and or store it in the freezer,

to help with the finances and make the best use of a small packet that i would like to make three small batches rather than one big one at once,

the packet instructions tell to mix the dried culture in the milk when making the cheese, as per the the starter can i also use ice cube bags to store it in the freezer ?

Sailor Con Queso

Re: culturing white mould and storing it
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 10:52:09 PM »
White mold (mould) does not work the same way as starter bacteria. They do not feed or reproduce the same way, so you cannot easily maintain mold as a mother culture.

Click here to learn about making Mother Cultures

wez

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 10:55:48 PM »
i did try reading the mother culture thing and i even tried searching the back threads but you lot talk in complete gibberish to a newbie, its a case of read on sentence and then spend 30 mins in wiki and google trying to make sence of it and then read another line, well, well over the top of my head,

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 11:10:38 PM »
You can use $10 of white mold culture to make cheese from 1000 gallon worth of milk. Is it really worth your effort to try and save money to reculture white mold? I can understand lactic starter... but p candidum seems like it's not cost effective to do in house.

If you really want, I can guide you through a home culture process for white mold. But it is far easier to take some rind from an existing cheese, puree it, and spray the new cheeses with it. It simply make enough white to where it will transfer readily to new cheese.

And as Sailor said, it won't work in straight milk (the way you describe, identically to a lactic mother. It's technically possible to use a modified milk medium, but not cost effective)

wez

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 06:28:44 AM »
i think i wil leave this thread alone now, i shall forget this idea, many thanks for the replies, pete