Author Topic: Recipes for swiss type cheeses- why the variablility?  (Read 1364 times)

Myrrh

Recipes for swiss type cheeses- why the variablility?
« on: May 11, 2012, 05:20:35 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I'm thinking about cheeses I would like to make in the next 6 months so I can make a single culture order rather then many smaller ones. Towards that end I have been compiling some recipes that I think look promising for future use. When looking at recipes for alpine cheeses (Baby Swiss in particular), I have noticed some fairly significant differences that I was hoping someone could address. Many of the recipes I see on this site use the use of MM100 + PS, while others contain thermophilic cultures. That seems like a pretty big difference to me, and I was hoping someone might have some thoughts as to why.
Much appreciated!

linuxboy

Re: Recipes for swiss type cheeses- why the variablility?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 05:32:06 PM »
There are two large swiss families. One is the traditional emmentaler that comes out of the Jura alpine-type (gruyere) tradition. Two is the branch that is more modern and is a crossover that happened when the Dutch practices meshed with traditional emmentaler. In this second branch, there are tons of variants... such as straight gouda with PS, or straight gouda with PS where the curds aren't washed. Or one specifically crafted for huge eyes (leerdaamer), or these other more modern variants.. jarlsberg, maasdam, etc. Confusing the situation even more is that some culture blends are meso+thermo, where the thermo is also a SLAB (usually TA, so not true bacilli thermo like is used in emmentaler).

And when you get to the baby swiss approach, anything goes because that's also a more modern take.

End point: variation due to historical practices and cultural changes over time. Cheese makes for some interesting cultural anthropology :)

Myrrh

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 05:39:30 PM »
Gosh you are fast! Not that I am complaining- it's fabulous!

So what I am getting from this is that I should try several recipes and see what I like best.

Thanks as always for all the education!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 09:37:14 PM »
You will also note the slight change in cultures can really change the flavor and texture of the final cheese.