Author Topic: RebloBert ?  (Read 1897 times)

hoeklijn

RebloBert ?
« on: May 11, 2012, 07:51:40 PM »
It seems that my first try on Reblocon is not going to be a big success. As you can read in my previous post http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,9595.0.html I had already problems with starting up and dropping my digital thermometer in the whey. But I also mention there that I added a tiny little bit of PC to the milk. I really do not recall what arguments I had for that  :-[.
I washed the rind every day with a light brine, even added BL to the brine, but the cheeses became whiter and whiter and are starting to transform in something like a Camembert. Not too bad, assuming they will taste fine, but not entirely what I mend.
Is there still any way to turn them into real Reblochons? They are 2 weeks old now....

JeffHamm

Re: RebloBert ?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 08:30:13 PM »
I believe Boofer did something like this.  Eventually, you should be able to remove the PC rind with a good wash as I recall.  I'm sure Boofer will give you some good tips.  They look good though, even if unintentional.  Just remember, no discoveries are made by those who never make mistakes. 

- Jeff

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 08:34:14 PM »
Next time add a little Geo rather than PC.  If you intensify the BL wash once you kill off the pc, perhaps you may start hitting the yellow shades and eventually the orange.

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 11:56:40 PM »
In theory the PC deacidifies the rind so B.L could do a come back (and you might get a white-orange rind).
I would continue to wash and keep RH high.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 03:42:42 AM »
In theory the PC deacidifies the rind so B.L could do a come back (and you might get a white-orange rind).
I would continue to wash and keep RH high.
I've only done Reblochon once, but what Tomer mentions seems to be what worked for me. It was white and then gradually the linens started to come out. I had SR3, Geo, PC, and KL71 working for me though.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

hoeklijn

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 07:43:33 AM »
Ok, folks, thanks for the responses. I'll restart washing them and see how it develops. I'll keep you posted...
And cheeses for your help...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:21:29 AM by hoeklijn »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 02:57:43 PM »
Thanks, Herman. I love your avatar. So much cheese!  :D

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

hoeklijn

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 08:24:39 AM »
Thanks Boofer, it's a picture of the traditional cheese market on the Marketplace in Gouda, in front of the former town hall. This building was finished in 1459 (when did Columbus discover America?  ;) ). The cheese market is these days only in June, July and August, more as a tourist attraction than a real cheese market...

hoeklijn

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 06:38:11 AM »
I gave up: After several days of washing with a brine that was a bit stronger and had BL added to it, I'm convinced that the PC is winning, even when I rub the PC away as far as possible when washing, the next day it is back. No smell developing other than PC (in contrast to my Brie http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,9636.0.html).
So from now on I'm treating them like Camembert and wrapped them in cheese paper. Very curious how the taste will develop....

JeffHamm

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 06:33:44 PM »
Hi hoekklijn,

Before giving up, I would re-read Boofer's thread.  As I recall, the PC was dominant for him for quite some time as well.  It was really only near the finish that the b.linens finally came through.  Have a look at the dates of his posts, and figure out where you are in his sequence.  You might be at a similar "all PC point".  The brine washing must keep the surface level acidity at the right point (i.e. not too acidic) for the PC.  It should eventually die back and the b.linens win out. 

- Jeff

hoeklijn

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 07:43:35 AM »
mmm, maybe you're right... Well, due to the wrapping it COULD be that development of PC slowd down or even stopped...
Anyhow, I'm out of BL at the moment because my daughter left the freezer open for a night and cultures and molds are one big mess.
I'm going to reorder the lot so I'll leave them wrapped for the moment and start over again. I still have 3 weeks before I need them....