Thistle Versus Calf Rennet

Started by GlabrousD, April 21, 2014, 01:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlabrousD

Hiya All,

I've been using BioRen Calf Rennet tablets to date in my makes with great success. However I now want to try a Camel milk cheese and have read that "normal" rennet doesn't work. So I've bought a bottle of Thistle rennet from ArtisanGeek and was wondering if someone could provide me with an equivalent measure compared to the tablets. I currently use 1/2 tablet for two gallons of milk... how much thistle rennet should I use to equate to this?

I realise that the Camel milk will react very differently to the regular (pasteurised & homogenised) cow's milk but I'd appreciate a starting point for my experiments.

Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers, GD.

jwalker

The bottles I have seen usually have the ammounts on the label , at least for cows , goat or sheeps milk , Camel milk is totally different from what I hear.

I can't help you much here , but I am very interested to hear the results of this make.

I did find an article on Camels milk cheese making , after you piqued my interest , it was kind of interesting.

It's here   http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/t0755e/t0755e02.htm#j      and good luck. :D

GlabrousD

Do you know jwalker I must be particularly hard-of-thinking today. I've just checked the bottle and - lo and behold it says "Dilute 1/8 teaspoon rennet in 1/4 cup... water for each 1 gallon milk".

My apologies All; thanks very much for the suggestion jwalker and for the link... it's one I've read and about the only information available. Who knows I could fill the niche and become the World Expert on artisan camel cheese... yeah, unlikely :)

I'll report back on the camel milk cheese in whichever forum is appropriate... I might try Caerphilly first as it's a fairly rapid make and I'm too impatient to wait for a cheddar :)

Cheers, GD.

jwalker

I read one article that stated you needed 50 to 100 times the rennet to coagulate Camels milk as opposed to cows milk , and even then it could take four times longer to set.

That's a LOT of rennet !  :o

Sailor Con Queso

Thistle rennet is extremely weak compared to conventional rennet, so I wouldn't change milk type and rennet at the same time. If something goes wrong, you have no way to identify the problem. I would first use your normal rennet with the camels milk and see what happens. Then if it coagulates properly, I would test the thistle rennet on a VERY small amount of the camels milk.

linuxboy

IMO preacidify the milk a bit and use pepsin instead of cardosin. It'll set and you'll have fewer bitterness issues.

GlabrousD

Dear Sailor & Linuxboy thanks very much for the advice and excuse me for not replying sooner. I'm currently knee-deep in a Google search for white papers on Pepsin, Cardosin, Chymosin et al.

Once I understand the basic functions and actions of each I'll be back to pester you if you don't mind? :)

I'd rather not ask questions from a position of ignorance as it only wastes other people's time explaining things I could discover on-line with a bit of effort.

Thanks again. Cheers, GD.

GlabrousD

So to summarise my findings:

Cardosin A - extracted from dried flowers of Cynara cardunculus
Cardosin B - extracted from dried flowers of Cynara cardunculus
Chymosin - extracted from the abomasa (fourth stomach) of sucking-calves (calf rennet)
Pepsin - extracted from the abomasa (fourth stomach) of sucking-calves (calf rennet)

Apparently most commercial rennet is about 95% Chymosin and 5% Pepsin. Junket rennet however is 80% Pepsin.

There's a fascinating white paper here: http://repositorio.ucp.pt/bitstream/10400.14/3582/3/Comparative%20studies%20on%20the%20gelling%20properties%20of%20cardosins%20extracted.pdf
Which indicates that the dried flower's Cardosin A & B give clotting strengths of 1160 and 7556 IMCU/g whilst the Chymosin gives 174,000 IMCU/g. Thus the Thistle rennet is orders of magnitude weaker as mentioned by Sailor.

Lower pH (6.2 to 6.4 - by adding CaCl) gave better results than higher (6.6pH) but the performance of Chymosin suffered more than that of the Cardosins. Hence Linuxboy's suggestion of a lower pH?

So to follow Linuxboy's advice is it sufficient for me to lower the pH with CaCl or should I use citric acid or similar? Also should I buy Junket rennet for the Pepsin or is there a better alternative please?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice. Cheers, GD.

Sailor Con Queso

You should let the starter bacteria do their job and produce enough acid to drop the pH.

GlabrousD

Thanks very much Sailor - I'll give it a shot and will report back. Sadly it'll be a few weeks as I'm about to go away on business :(

Cheers, GD.