Author Topic: Length of time for Camembert ripening  (Read 3232 times)

happinessperson

Length of time for Camembert ripening
« on: May 14, 2012, 07:13:40 PM »
The CheeseForum wiki article on Camembert says that the cheeses may be ready when they are three weeks old.
Is the three weeks measured from the date that the curd is first made, or from the date that the cheeses are fully bloomed and moved to colder storage for ripening?
My Camembert efforts bloom at 55F and I move them to the 40F fridge two weeks after curd formation, but they are not anywhere near soft inside after one week in the fridge, which would be three weeks from curd formation.

Thanks.

Andree

Re: Length of time for Camembert ripening
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 02:03:57 AM »
It took me around 30-35 days from the making of the cheese (curd formation) for mine, and I could have waited more, with beginning of blooming at 48 F for 6 days and ripening at 55 F.

happinessperson

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 01:05:31 PM »
Thanks Andree.
I'm curious about the temperatures - the wiki recipe and several contributors seem to ripen at a much lower temperature than you do. Any thoughts?

hoeklijn

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 05:42:58 PM »
At a higher temperature it will ripen faster. Since I have several types of cheese in my cave, I just use an average temperature and when I have Brie, I wrap it in cheese paper when it's all covered with PC. After it's wrapped I feel with every flip in the middle of the wheel and when it's definitely softer than when packing, it's ready to cut

Andree

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 08:40:20 PM »
Ohh boy.. sorry ! I meant 39F (4 C) instead of 55 F !!!

happinessperson

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:51:25 PM »
I think I should leave the cheese at 40F and just be more patient.

Tomer1

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 03:23:52 PM »
Fast (hot) ripening is a sure bet for slip skin\liquidification.   espacially when its not a stabilized or tripple cream version.

luiscaraubas

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 11:53:17 PM »
I know that is not about the topic, but is it possible bloom the Camembert at 39F ? If it's possible, what kind of effects would have in the cheese? I'm asking this because it's know that Geo needs a higher temperature. So  I wonder what kind of effects could this action have on Geo and PC.