Author Topic: Adding non cultured butter to increase fat in milk during cheesemaking  (Read 3939 times)

Tomer1

Someone suggested this can be done.  It seems to me like butter is final product which fat cannot be recombined with milk without the use of emulsification and\or emulsifiers.   the fat will just float on the surface.

Anyone care to share his opinion\expirience?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 02:07:33 PM by Tomer1 »

hoeklijn

I have no idea Tomer, I was asking myself a similar question yesterday when I discovered that the 35% cream I added to the milk for my Brie, was UHT. That tutned out fine as far as I can see now. But I guess UHT cream is "closer" to milk than butter...

MrsKK

Just from my experience with the high butterfat content of my cow's milk this spring, I doubt that using butter would work.  Some of the butterfat ends up separating out and won't mix back into the milk, no matter how much I stir it - or how much I shake before warming the milk in the kettle.  I've even ended up with some of the butterfat on the mat under the mold when the cheese is in the press.  Such a waste!

hoeklijn

I guess it also depends on the cheese you're making/recipe that you are following: When I make Gouda and heating up the curd to 36C I experienced a better blending on the fat into the curds...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
I made a Cheddar recently and the milkfat refused to assimilate with the rest of the milk. I skimmed it off and used it on my breakfast toast.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

hoeklijn

So we have to resist the Borg with butter and toast.... ;D

Tomer1

Maybe adding the butter during pastuerization is how its suppose to be done?   

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
So we have to resist the Borg with butter and toast.... ;D
You're killin' it, hoeklijn. LMAO.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Why not just add cream?