Author Topic: Fetta # 3  (Read 4484 times)

boothrf

Fetta # 3
« on: May 19, 2012, 12:09:34 AM »
Has been 6 months since I made cheese, holidays and family stuff just got in the way. Decided to re-start with a batch of Fetta. Using my last successful recipe (see my previous Fetta posts). I like the more sharp, crumbly Fetta so will make sure I add some stirring steps to get the firmer texture. Using fresh cows milk, collected form the diary after last nights milking. I have just added the rennet, so relaxing while it sets.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Fetta # 3
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 12:15:30 AM »
Good luck Bob!

boothrf

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 01:39:39 AM »
Thanks DJD!

Just cut the curd, very happy with it, now for some resting and stirring.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 03:19:37 AM »
You still got it!

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 12:40:51 AM »
Many people think that making a good fetta is easy but in my opinion making a good fetta is difficult. And with cows milk it is even more difficult. I have just finished the Brisbane cheese judging awards and really good fettas were few and far between.  Technically it shouldn't be that difficult but I think many cheese makers just 'throw' the cheese together thinking it will be ok, but it isn't. Since it is essentially an 'industrial' cheese in Australia many of the great fetta qualities are lost. Good texture is key to a good fetta I think.

Good luck.

NVD.

boothrf

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 06:38:57 AM »
Thanks DJD and NVD. Make went very well, have just finished getting it into brine. Looks and smells really good, but the real test will be when I cut and taste it. I'll post some pics and let you know the result when I do.

boothrf

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 10:09:21 AM »
Here is the result  :D

Pretty happy with this batch, nice and crumbly, rich creamy taste, slight sharpness.....just how I like it!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 02:30:55 AM »
looks really creamy. I am not a big fetta person but this looks good! Cheese for you!

boothrf

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 09:37:10 AM »
Thanks DJ!

This batch is certainly creamier than my previous makes. I have changed my milk supply and now collect my own straight from the vat, and I can't resist the rich creamy milk on the top.

Fetta is not really a cheese you can nibble on during the day or put on a cheese plate, but I love it on salads (pity its nearly winter now!)  and in savoury pastries. My family always ask me to make it, and it is quite straight forward and I love being able to eat it so soon.

Planning my next cheese. I have made quite a good blue brie before, so think I'll try a large wheel of straight blue now.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 02:59:50 AM »
I do like it in a nice balsalmic vingar salad helps to hide the salt. I think it is the overpowering saltiness that gets me.

boothrf

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 06:28:42 AM »
Yes, saltiness can be an issue. I use 12% brine onl,y for that reason. I also rinse off excess brine before use, and have tried soaking it in milk for a few hours which seems to work also.

Another way to avoid the saltiness is to cut it into cubes after the initial brining and store in a jar with oil and fresh herbs. That way, it can be eaten as part of a cheese plate!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 03:28:03 AM »
Hmmm that might work.

zvisaar

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 08:37:23 AM »
the ain problem of fetta is if putting in brine after awhie even if u add cacl to brinr' the cheese is softening on the surface like a jelly form any suggestions??

hoeklijn

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 10:31:19 AM »
Yes, that's caused by PH. Just add a bit of vinegar (I use just less than 1 tsp per liter) to the brine. I'm pretty sure you will find the right PH somewhere on the forum...

boothrf

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 12:38:34 PM »
I've not experienced that problem at all. I always add a little vinegar to the brine and the cheese stays nice and firm. There have been lots of posts on here about soft Fetta, and the consensus, if I recall correctly, is to get the pH right, usually by adding the vinegar.