Author Topic: My first edam make: Edam Boules from ACMAH  (Read 3103 times)

Dulcelife

My first edam make: Edam Boules from ACMAH
« on: May 19, 2012, 02:09:20 AM »
Hoping my edam make yields as nice a cheese as my first two makes: the infamous Chihuahua confused with the second: the tasty Gouda.  I already made a second Gouda, so I am hoping this make is as good.  I am less than a month from slicing into these boules and the anticipation is truly killing me.  The make did not go as planned as I had heat issues and although I was already in possession of my Extech pH110, it has proved wonky so I don't trust the readings. Here it goes:

EDAM MAKE -  Edam Boules from ACMAH with changes.  April 7, 2012

4 Gallons Jersey raw milk.
½ tsp. MM100 per 200 Easy...
1 tsp single strength veal rennet per ACMAH

12:55pm: warm milk to 88F
1:33pm: 38 minutes to reach 88F
1:34pm: Added 1/2 tsp MM100 culture.  Recipe called for 1/2 tsp for 2 Galllons, opted for !/2 tsp per 4 gallons per 200 Easy....
1:37pm: Temperature overshot to 90F
1:40pm: stirred down MM100
1:44pm: Temperature hit 91F
2:10pm: Added 1 tsp rennet in 1/2 cup cold water.
2:17pm: Flocculated in 7.5 min X 3 = 22 min to cut
2:39pm: Checked for clean break, no-go
2:47pm: Checked for clean break, no-go
2:55pm: Cut curds to ½” cubes and rested for 5 min.
3:00pm: Temperature at this time was already (91F - 92F) so stirred for 15 min.
3:15pm: Let curds rest for 30 min.
3:45pm: Ladle and reserved whey exposing curds and stirred for 20 min.
4:05pm: Added warmer water to bring curds to 99F .
4:50pm: Reached 99F held for 20, let curds settle
5:10pm: Drained curds for 5 minutes, tossed with 2 tblsp. Flake salt. pH before salting 5.98
4:45pm: Divided into four portions and tied into tight balls in butter muslin, hanging for 50 min. until curds stopped dripping.
5:35pm: Unwrapped and submerged 122F reheated whey for 20 min. maintaining temperature and turning. pH after 122F cook was 5.6
5:55pm: Rewrapped in muslin and let drain for 7 hours. 
April 8
1:00am: Put in brined with 1Tblsp calcium chloride @ 50F - 53F
7:30am: Took out of brine. After brining, cheese shows cracks and unconsolidated curd/rind.
7:35am: Redressed in clean and dry cheese cloth: very tightly wrapped to try and consolidate rind.
9:00am: Set out boules to dry.
April 9
6:00pm: waxed.
June 9 - 60 days
July 9 - 90 days
Oct 9 - 6 months

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: My first edam make: Edam Boules from ACMAH
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 03:21:55 AM »
Never saw them just hung that way. Interesting.

mjr522

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 03:34:27 AM »
Did you try these at 60 or 90 days?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 01:43:13 PM »
Hey, who's up for a little bocce ball?

Nice job, Luis. Very unusual artistic hanging display.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Dulcelife

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 10:54:25 PM »
Unfortunately this make being my second make in my foray into cheese-making were an unadulterated failure (as far as I am concerned),  I wound up with some nasty green, grey, blue mold under the wax and despite my attempts to repair the damage, the truth is that using the quantities of culture indicated in ACMAH in combination with raw milk and over rennetting led to over acidified, crumbly and pungent cheese.

The mold which took hold in the creases and crannies which resulted from forming curds in twisted cheese cloth proved to difficult to mitigate. I was able to dig it out and re-coat and re-package the boules and age with much difficulty and work.  I did not like the results but despite all this the DW was still able to use it as a substitute for her beloved Feta and found a way to utilize it in her cooking after much washing off of said molds.

Bocce ball:  I have fond memories of watching the elder Italians play bocce ball at Highland Park in Brooklyn, New York.

mjr522

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 11:29:41 PM »
That's very unfortunate to hear.  I'm hoping to go from Gouda to Edam and then to Havarti in my learning process.  Since I've only made 2 Goudas, and they didn't do what I expected them to do during the make (we'll see how they turn out when I open them up), I've got time to find a good Edam make from which to start--I'll stick with the Gouda until I'm satisfied with it.  I thought the bocce ball shaping idea was cool, but I don't think I'll try it...