Author Topic: Anyone try "Professional Cheese Moulds" in the Netherlands? Shipping to US?  (Read 7392 times)

Myrrh

I've been holding off on getting a Kadova mold because in addition to being very expensive, there doesn't seem to be one the right size for the quantity of cheese that I make (6-7 gallons of milk), and I don't really wan to age my cheese in two rounds when one would do. I came across this company, and their products look pretty impressive.

http://www.thecheesemouldshop.com/en/gouda-3-35-kg.html

First of all, their price seems much more attainable then Kadova, and it looks like the follower goes all the way to the bottom of the mold, suggesting that perhaps it can handle fluctuations in curd quantity.

They also have basket style manchego molds which look really cool, also with more attainable prices.

http://www.thecheesemouldshop.com/en/manchego-3200-grams.html

They say they will ship internationally, though I am not sure they would be willing to do so for someone who just wants a few molds. If their products is good it seems like the the cost of shipping might well be worth it. Anyone have any experiences they are willing to share? I am definitely ready to upgrade, but Kadova just doesn't have the right size for me. 3-3.5 kg would be perfect!

linuxboy

Myrrh, Stephan there supplied our last bulk kadova buy. This line in your link is the non-kadova, not made by sonoco crelin, as you pointed out, hence much cheaper because there's no built-in net. Shipping is tough for just a few molds, but email him and see what he quotes for the cheapest freight, maybe through the postal service, which is slower than Fedex/UPS.

Myrrh

Have you tried any of those molds? It looks like the manchego one has some sort of net in it, but not the gouda one. Do you think the lack of netting will cause a problem with the curved sides?

The mold I am using is from Steve Shapson at TheCheesemaker, and though it has been good to me, I would like something a bit sturdier that can handle slightly smaller curd quantities in the 2.5-2.7kg range

Thanks for the input!

linuxboy

Have handled those gouda ones, never made cheese in them. Have handled and made cheese in the manchegos. There is no net in either. I don't think it will cause issues, but you would need to make a net to fit that shape, by sewing something out of cloth, or by shaping some plyban around a heated mold. Can skip the customization, but will not have as good of a surface.

Myrrh

You can shape plyban by heating it? Wow, that is really cool. How hot do you have to get in order to do that? I have definitely found that plyban is necessary to get good curd knit, so I would want to customize somehow. How would that work with the basket weave design on the manchego mold?

linuxboy

You can shape plyban by heating it?
It's just plastic :). Should be pliable somewhere around 230F. You can also use your current approach and instead of making a "bowl" shape, cut a circle and put it on top and bottom. Will work fine because that's the majority of the contact surface.

How would that work with the basket weave design on the manchego mold?
That tends to work best if you prepress the curd and then use the manchego as a final press. It likes the curd to already be gathered together.

linuxboy

or, another option, take plyban and where there a crease, take a heat sealer and seal it together. Do this enough times a little at a time, it will start to form a bowl so you can put a plyban hat on both sides.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
You can shape plyban by heating it?
It's just plastic :). Should be pliable somewhere around 230F.
I've boiled it and it doesn't seem particularly soft or malleable.

I like the idea of heat-sealing it to form something. I'll have to try that.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

linuxboy

Might be misremembering my plastic melt temps. I think plyban is a mix of nylon and PP. If so, it would have a higher forming temp than mid 200s. Def higher than boiling, it's not like softer HDPE.

hoeklijn

If you want Kadova moulds from the cheesemouldshop, search for Kadova http://www.thecheesemouldshop.com/en/kadova-gouda-3-35-kg-cheese-mould-for-making-3-35.html. Yes, they are expensive but very good....

Myrrh

Thanks for the input everyone! I misremembered my issue with Kadovas in my first post. With 6 gallons milk I usually end up with about 2.7kg curd mass- a bit too small for the Kadovas since the lid doesn't go all the way down from my understanding. From the pictures it looks like the lid on the other type of gouda mold goes all the way down, so perhaps it can handle the smaller curd mass. It is less clear with the manchego type mold. Any input would be appreciated!

Sailor Con Queso

There are several different styles of Kadovas. Some, like the Gouda styles, do not go all the way down because of the radius built into the bottom of the mould. They have a cylindrical series that does go almost to the bottom. I use one they call their Mangego mould from the cylindrical series. It does NOT have the traditional basket weave pattern found in some other Manchego moulds. My cheeses range from 5.5 to 8.o pounds in those moulds. I could go much smaller than 5.5, but I don't.

Myrrh

Thanks Sailor! Those are pretty cool. I found a number of the Kadova Cylindrical moulds at the Netherlands shop. Did you get them some place more local? I couldn't find anyplace else that offers them with a cursory on-lin search.

Sailor Con Queso

Mine was a part of a group buy that Linuxboy set up. I have not found them anywhere in the USA.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
I got the kadova style loaf mold from that buy. Haven't used it yet but looks great!