Author Topic: Morbier splitting in brine  (Read 3470 times)

Ross

Morbier splitting in brine
« on: July 29, 2012, 06:01:49 AM »
Greetings fellow cheesemakers, I had my first attempt at producing a Morbier type cheese last week, everything went well until I put the cheese into the brine for an 8 hr bath, I am using the Morbier recipe from '200 easy homemade cheese recipes' by Debra Amrein-Boyes.
I split the curd into 2 moulds and let them sit for 10 - 12 Min's, then instead of using ash, I decided to experiment with powdered Kelp for the layer, keeping a small 'boarder around the edge of the cheese then placed the second wheel on top and placed it into the press with a light pressure of 7 kg (approx 15lb) and as I said all went well until the brine bath. Could the kelp be the problem, I have read on this site of other people having the same splitting problem.
This week I had another go at a Morbier, this time I made a paste with the powdered Kelp and brushed it on with a basting brush, again leaving a 25mm (1 inch) boarder, this time I only had it split on one side.
Any suggestions as to why it is splitting,
This is the Morbier from my second attempt

« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 10:37:26 AM by NZcheesemkr »

linuxboy

Re: Morbier splitting in brine
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 11:22:49 AM »
then placed the second wheel on top and placed it into the press with a light pressure of 7 kg (approx 15lb)
IMHO, PSI too low. Should be at least 5. You're fusing  two planar surfaces together, and that takes heat and weight to pull off.

Ross

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 08:43:39 PM »
Thanks for the advice LB, will try a heavier weight next time. I returned the cheese to the mould last night after it came out of the brine and added a follower and a 2.5kg weight, will leave it for 24 hrs to see if it will help 'heal' it.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what does 'IMHO' stand for?

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 08:46:15 PM »
in my humble opinion = IMHO :)

After brining, might be a bit difficult to fuse them together. Hope it helps, though.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 09:06:08 PM »
2.5 kg is WAY to light.

Ross

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 06:15:45 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up for me LB.

Sailor Con Queso: The 2.5 kg weight was just to see if it would close the split, I may try a heavier weight if it is still split, but I don't hold out too much hope for it to 'heal' so will add more weight next time I try a Morbier. Thanks for the advice. Every little bit helps.

Ross

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 08:01:48 AM »
Well, my 2nd attempt at a Morbier has ended the same way as the first, it also has completely split in two, now I have four 1/2 Morbier cheeses, oh well, I will carry on with the process and see what happens in a couple of months.

linuxboy

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 08:06:31 AM »
How much weight? You have to fuse that outer edge. It needs at least 5 PSI, preferably 10+. That's several hundreds of pounds for that mold. And try to keep the cheese warm so it fuses. One more thing to try is coat with less kelp or leave a larger band of uncoated cheese. It's not fusing enough.

Tomer1

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 08:10:17 AM »
At what temp are you going into press?
Perhaps try to press this one under warm whey for 20-30 minutes before going to your press?

Ross

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 10:39:29 AM »
I used the weight suggested in the recipe of a light to medium weight, between 10 & 15 lb(4.5- 7kg) so next time I will go start with 35lb(13.5kg) for the first hour then 40lb(18kg)for 12 hours. The recipe does not call for pressing with warmth, so I will try pressing it in warm whey for the first 20 -30 mins, then flip and repress overnight. I will also leave a wider boarder when I apply the kelp.
Thanks LB & Tomer1 for your helpful suggestions

Tomer1

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 10:52:59 AM »
Recipes are great untill they dont work so well :)

Ross

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 11:17:58 AM »
Yes that's right. I keep a record of my cheesemaking so I can look back at my last efforts and tweak them if needed.