Author Topic: Pressed Cheeses, Ignored, Covered In Mold - Cleaning With Vinegar & Dry Salt Then Ethanol  (Read 1451 times)

adalton

I actually didn't forget, I have been gone a while and my cheese has been untouched for about two months. Nobody was available to check it for me. So, I have a bunch of cheeses that are caked full of mold.  Two of my Goudas have yellow mold and the rest are more blueish.  The mold is heavy, I picked one of them up and you could see the spores floating through the air.  I haven't done anything with them because I am at a loss.  I am ready to except the fact that these may no longer be good and that is fine.  Next time I make some cheese, I will make sure my calender is clear for a few months.  Does anyone have any ideas on what my next step should be. Try to clean them outdoors on a windy day, or dip them in vinegar or rubbing alcohol? Seroiusly, what are my options? I can post some photos if neccessary!

Andrew

linuxboy

scrub down with vinegar+salt to remove the surface. wash with water. Then rinse with alcohol. continue to age. If your surface was inclusion-free, it'll be OK, but might need to cut the outer rind as it will have off flavors.

adalton

Thanks Linuxboy, What are the ratios and what type of alcohol?

Andrew

linuxboy

it's the heaviest vinegar you have saturated with salt. It's not that exact. Scrub it until the mold is gone. Vinegar helps, salt acts liek sandpaper and also bacteriocide. Or just use water and a brush.

ethanol, pure as you have it. just to kill anything on surface.