Author Topic: Surface Molds, Unwanted - Treatment?  (Read 370 times)

Offline bramwell

  • New Cheese
  • *
  • Location: New Zealand
  • Posts: 3
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Surface Molds, Unwanted - Treatment?
« on: May 18, 2012, 10:50:56 PM »
Hi there

I'm quite new to cheesemaking, but am hooked!  I recently made 2 gouda wheels (one with cumin seed, one plain) which have been drying for almost 3 weeks.  The plain wheel had a rumpty/bumpy surface due to bulk of the muslin in the press (silly me!) which of course led to ruts in the surface which grew blue mould.  I thought I had kept the mould quite well cleaned off with brine but I have just dug a portion of blue mould out of the plain wheel, about 1cm down into the cheese.

My question is, now that I've picked the mould out, what can I do to encourage a rind to form over this freshly-picked open area, or would I be okay to just wax it as I had planned in a few days' time (assuming no more mould has formed)?  In fact, is it even likely to be safe to eat even though I've got rid of the visible mould from inside the cheese?

Many thanks for your help   :-)

Regards
Chrissie (New Zealand)


Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.


Offline smilingcalico

  • A picture is worth a thousand words; but a cheese should leave you speechless.
  • Old Cheese
  • *****
  • Location: Northern California
  • Posts: 674
  • Cheeses: 26
    • Artisan Cheesemaker
Re: Surface Molds, Unwanted - Treatment?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 11:41:40 PM »
It's likely safe to eat. What you don't know though is if that cheese has more blue further inside. You could sacrifice it and eat it young. If it really isn't that bad, I like to rub honey on the wound. It's anti bacterial and pretty effective.
www.brianackerly.com
Website of an Artisan Cheesemaker.

Offline bramwell

  • New Cheese
  • *
  • Location: New Zealand
  • Posts: 3
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Re: Surface Molds, Unwanted - Treatment?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 11:58:01 PM »
Excellent advice, thanks Smilingcalico!   I'll slap some honey onto it now ...    :)