Author Topic: Hello from Bozeman, Montana  (Read 2741 times)

mariegriffis

Hello from Bozeman, Montana
« on: May 24, 2012, 08:55:13 PM »
Last summer I bought a jersey cow, now I am exploring the wonderful world of cheese making. So far it has been a lot "wasting milk" but I am determined to turn the corner into cheese success.  I have a bunch of questions but first I'll read past treads and soak up as much information as my brain can hold.

Cheese making is something I have dreamed about for many years. So to finally be in the middle of the first learning curve thrills me tons.

So glad I found this site.

linuxboy

Re: Hello from Bozeman, Montana
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 09:09:13 PM »
Welcome :)

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 9
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 10:04:17 PM »
Welcome, Marie. I too am a newbie cheesemaker and we're almost neighbors (Missoula). We need a Montana cheesemakers' club!

There is so much incredibly valuable knowledge here that it's sometimes overwhelming. The thing that continues to strike me is the both the generosity and kindness of the members here to help each other solve the wonderful puzzles involved in cheesemaking. One can only hope that some day one can give back as much as one learns on these pages.

If you can't find answers to your questions just ask. You'll be pointed to previous threads on the subject and/or some of the more experienced artisans will usually share their knowledge.

Welcome aboard.
Laissez le rouleau grand fromage - Dave Budge

mariegriffis

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 01:11:59 AM »
Thank you for the warm welcome. Dave, I agree with you, we do need a Montana cheesemakers' club. I have asked around the Bozeman area and have yet to find anyone experienced in cheesemaking. But, still holding out hope to find a mentor.

Offline dbudge55

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 9
    • Cultures of Corruption
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 01:22:39 AM »
You should contact those guys at Vintage Cheese Co in Bozeman. I haven't had it but word is their "Montina" is very good. I asked the people at Lifeline Farms in Victor, MT if I could come and get a tour on a make day and they were very gracious. I hope to do it in a week or two.

Also, there's Amaltheia Dairy in Belgrade who market a Chevre. I bet they would give you the time of day as well. Generally, I've found that cheesemakers love to talk about cheese.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 02:23:23 AM by dbudge55 »
Laissez le rouleau grand fromage - Dave Budge

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 02:11:10 AM »
Welcome aboard Marie. You have come to the right place. Enjoy your new adventure!

cgaf99

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 01:48:57 AM »
Hi, Marie.
  I'm in Butte and am a cheese lover and promoter.  Are you still thinking of making cheese?

Cindy

Wendy

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 04:55:12 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm also in Montana.  I'm in Whitehall.  I've been making goat milk cheeses, hard and soft.   :)
Wendy