Author Topic: Molds - Which For What Cheese?  (Read 2065 times)

TraditionalGoats

Molds - Which For What Cheese?
« on: May 26, 2012, 02:31:08 PM »
Hi,

I am totally confused!  I am hoping to buy some molds to make a few hard cheeses and that is where the confusion set in.  lol

I want to make some baby goudas, cheddar, colby, edam, asaigo, and more but which molds do I use?  Can I use a gouda mold for cheddar and such?  Or is it better to get the stainless bottomless molds with followers?

I am not going to make all these cheeses at once but want to get a stock going so I can do them without having to wait to get things shipped.

Also, how can I determine how much a mold holds?  I have two gouda molds that are large and I have no idea how many gallons I would need to fill them.  Is there a simple way to calculate that?

Thanks!

Tracy

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Molds - Which For What Cheese?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 02:32:34 AM »
You can use almost anything for a mold as long as it can stand whatever pressure is needed if the cheese requires pressing.There are all kinds of fancy molds but most of us use a few different sizes - usually round to make our cheeses. Gouda molds are fine for any other cheese. It's just a matter of a classic shape for a cheese vice using wht you have. The least expensive commercial mold for hard cheeses is the tome mold. It can be lined with cheese cloth or plyban and used for any type of cheese. The sized will depend on how big a wheel you will be making.

Here is an example of two at the bottom of the page:

http://www.dairyconnection.com/commerce/catalog.jsp?catId=7

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 06:35:31 AM »
Not too long ago I had that same thought...how much curd would fit into a particular mould I had.

I worked up the attached spreadsheet. It doesn't include all the moulds/forms that are out there, but there are several common ones.

There are two formats for the same sheet, Excel and Webpage. Use whichever one works for you.

Hope it helps.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

hoeklijn

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 11:34:53 AM »
Good job Boofer! What I did for my Kadova's was to get a sack of rice, fill the moulds and after that determined the volume of the rice. Gave me at least an idea. For the tommes I made myself I just calculated the volume. Since I use (almost) always the same amounts of milk, I new from experience which or how much moulds to use. Most of the times I get away with that...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »
I like your idea better, Herman.  8)

KISS...keep it simple stupid. More accurate and less complicated.  ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

TraditionalGoats

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 02:09:37 PM »
Thanks! 

I have to put an order together now. 

I found a press plan I want to have built too, then I can do so much more!  Someday, that is way beyond what my experience level is at the moment.  A goal tho!

Tracy