Author Topic: Late Lactation  (Read 2812 times)

kieralacy

Late Lactation
« on: May 29, 2012, 06:54:37 PM »
Hello Everyone,
I am new here and am not quiet sure where to post this question so if it needs to be moved feel free!!
I have been starting out my cheese making adventures and have been hearing a lot about "late lactation" milk. Now I understand that means the later part of her milk producing months but I was wondering if anyone could make it a little clearer for me. I have Jersey cows, I don't know if the breed makes a difference, how long can they be in milk before drying them up? I have heard the average is 7 months. Out of those months what ones are the best to use for making Cheese?

linuxboy

Re: Late Lactation
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 08:41:10 PM »
It's not lactation period per se as the season (feed, length of day, hormonal triggers, etc). Toward the fall and winter months, the solids increase. You can use any milk for making cheese, but there are some seasonal specificities. I've written about it before . if you search for seasonality or seasonal, likely will find it.

kieralacy

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:51:10 PM »
Interesting I didn't even think that it might mean the seasons! Thank you! Huh, so if I have a cow that is milking into her, say 5th month and it is now almost June her milk should not be changing much if her diet hasn't' changed right? I know that sounds like a lame question but I am just starting this whole adventure.
I will look into the other postings, thank you.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 09:00:55 PM »
Yes, exactly. In commercial dairies that have careful control of feed and daylight a.nd other parameters, the milk stays very very even.

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 02:31:04 PM »
In reference to the stage of a cow's lactation "late lactation" refers to how close she is to being dried off, which is normally about 60 days prior to her next calving.  Some cows are not bred back as frequently and can be lactating for 2 or more years.  In an extreme example, a member of one forum I'm on talked about their cow that last calved 9 years ago and is still giving a gallon of milk a day.

Seasonal differences are most of what affects the milk's qualities for cheesemaking, but being closer to calving can also affect the milk.