Author Topic: How long to brine Fourm d'Ambert  (Read 3206 times)

jawdog

How long to brine Fourm d'Ambert
« on: May 29, 2012, 02:57:39 AM »
I have made a fourme d'Ambert with 6 gal milk and a pint of heavy cream. How ling should is brine? (8" mould)
Thanks. John.

Also, how do I post a pic from my iPad?

jawdog

Re: How long to brine Fourm d'Ambert
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 05:56:28 AM »
Ok. I guess I'll go at this alone. I brine Romanos this size for 24 hours.  I brined this blue for 12 hours. I hope that doesn't kill off all the blue. The rind feels firm and smooth.  I'll stab it with a knitting needle in a couple of weeks. 

I made this type a year ago in three smaller moulds. We ate two at around 90 days. Very tasty. I found the other one at the back of the fridge recently. The longer aging was amazing. Also found a 2 year old manchego.

I would post pics if I knew how from iPad.

John

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 02:59:47 PM »
Ok. I guess I'll go at this alone. I brine Romanos this size for 24 hours.  I brined this blue for 12 hours. I hope that doesn't kill off all the blue. The rind feels firm and smooth.  I'll stab it with a knitting needle in a couple of weeks. 

I made this type a year ago in three smaller moulds. We ate two at around 90 days. Very tasty. I found the other one at the back of the fridge recently. The longer aging was amazing. Also found a 2 year old manchego.

I would post pics if I knew how from iPad.

John
Sorry no one came to your rescue, John.

I've only done 2 Fourme d'Ambert makes. The last one was a 4 gallon cheese and I brined it for 4 hours then flipped it and brined it for 4 more hours. I can't testify to the level of saltiness at this point...the cheese is still in its affinage.

I don't own or operate an iPad. Perhaps if you were to search online for a solution to your posting problem.... Oh, wait, look at the attachment! What a surprise!  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

hoeklijn

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 07:07:19 PM »
Sorry jawdog, I saw the post but I thought "Boofer will absolutely answer this"  ^-^
I tried to make a Fourme d'Ambert at about the same time as Boofer did, but mine didn't come anywhere in the neighbourhood of the result that Boofer is having. Would you be so kind to describe the process you followed a year ago? Somehow mine ended up to be very compact, even getting crumbly, but spicy and blue. More like an aged blue Stilton than a creamy Fourme d'Ambert, but I'm surely going to try this once again...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 07:22:42 PM »
Sorry jawdog, I saw the post but I thought "Boofer will absolutely answer this"  ^-^
You're killing me, Herman.  :)

And, FWIW, the verdict is still unclear about my FdA cheeses. My curiosity is going crazy right now any time I go to flip them. Maybe another week....

So, jawdog...
  • how old was that one you found at the back of the fridge?
  • how was it wrapped or protected?
  • what size was it?
  • can you provide any further details about flavor, bite, blue?
  • was it injected with wine?
-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

jawdog

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 01:31:15 AM »
The one at the back of the fridge was right at a year old.  It was vac sealed at 90 days.  It was about 2 lbs.  No wine was injected.
It has a great "blue" flavor (I don't know how else to describe the flavor).  It was somewhat crumbly, but not dry at all; really creamy feel in my mouth.

My notes on that cheese says that it took a few weeks for the mold to appear on the outside.  I'll have to wait to see how much will grow on the outside with a 12 hour brine.

John

jawdog

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 01:37:46 AM »
Maybe this picture will work.  FdA in brine.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 04:09:46 PM »
Congrats on the iPad-->posting!  :)

That FdA that aged out for a year...a lot of times, I think the blue develops a strong, maybe-acidic taste. Would you characterize yours as having that...or smooth and non-biting?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

jawdog

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 05:14:22 AM »
Very smooth.  Not acidic tasting at all.  (When I think overly acidic, I think of a really crumbly farmhouse cheddar!)

I emailed the iPad photo to my laptop.  So, I can't take credit for an iPad photo post!

Thanks.  John

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 03:32:59 PM »
Hey, John, whatever gets the job done. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

jawdog

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 04:37:44 AM »
Update on my Fourm d'Ambert

The cheese has been pierced on two differend occasions.  It is covered in blue and a little white.  The rind is slightly wrinkled in on the top and bottom.

It gets turned every day or two and gets to breathe for an hour or so. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:44:06 AM by jawdog »