Author Topic: Fridge - Micro Climate Containers or Whole Fridge?  (Read 1168 times)

Annie

Fridge - Micro Climate Containers or Whole Fridge?
« on: June 08, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »
You may recall I have a broken fridge to use as a cheese cave. The temp ranges from about 55 to 60/65 degrees Fahrenheit. I have cleaned it out and am testing my hygrometer and want to have a good set-up for the cheese.

Would it be better to try to hydrate the entire fridge and have the cheeses on racks, or would it be better to put the cheeses on the racks inside plastic bags and try to keep just the bags hydrated?

My book shows plastic boxes with racks in them, but I am having trouble finding everything the right size to fit and still fit in the fridge which is a side-by-side so somewhat narrow.

Also, there are drawers at the bottom that I would like to use; I am going to have to start thinking about long-term aging since I can make 6-10'cheeses/week. Six is not unusual.

So far, I have been sticking cheeses in the freezer but I don't think they are aging in there.

Thanks for any advice :)

Caseus

Re: Fridge - Micro Climate Containers or Whole Fridge?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 10:39:57 PM »
Hydrating the entire fridge and setting the cheeses on racks or wooden shelves would be my preference.  You can still use mini-caves (plastic boxes) for cheeses that need very high humidity. 

The open grid flourescent light covers like these http://www.homedepot.com/buy/building-materials-plexiglass/24-in-x-48-in-white-egg-crate-lighting-panel-5pack-151888.html can be easily cut to fit any plastic box you have.   They are 2 feet by 4 feet, so one of them is probably all you'll need.

Annie

Re: Fridge - Micro Climate Containers or Whole Fridge?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 03:36:21 AM »
Hydrating the entire fridge and setting the cheeses on racks or wooden shelves would be my preference.  You can still use mini-caves (plastic boxes) for cheeses that need very high humidity. 

The open grid flourescent light covers like these http://www.homedepot.com/buy/building-materials-plexiglass/24-in-x-48-in-white-egg-crate-lighting-panel-5pack-151888.html can be easily cut to fit any plastic box you have.   They are 2 feet by 4 feet, so one of them is probably all you'll need.

Oh, this looks grand! Than you so much for sharing this :D