Author Topic: First mozzarella try results in something like queso blanco  (Read 2054 times)

RamirOk

So yesterday was my first time making cheese and after reading some post here I know now that mozzarella is not a beginners cheese but is the one that I want more to make right now.

I want to make really good mozzarella and I know that to do that is going to take some time and practice. For my first try my objective was to be able to make the curds and melting them to make a OK mozzarella.
I recently buy the book Artisan Cheese Making at Home: Techniques & Recipes for Mastering World-Class Cheeses by Mary Karlin but I can't follow the recipe of the mozzarella because I don't have the Italian culture and I know that I not going to get a culture here in Mexico but apparently cheesemaking.com ships to Mexico so I'm planing to buy the Italian culture in the next days. Still I just want to give a try so I just use liquid rennet nothing else, the curds where very soft even after 80 minutes and after I put the curds in the hot whey (180 f) they just crumble and didn't melt.
So if anyone have some tips, I'm thinking in using citric acid the next time or I should add Calcium Chloride?. I use store milk not ultrapasteurized and I still don't have a pH meter.

MrsKK

Re: First mozzarella try results in something like queso blanco
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 02:23:46 PM »
With store bought milk, you may be able to make an acceptable mozz with a citric acid recipe.  I started this thread which includes the recipe that I developed, making tweaks to another recipe that gave me some mild success.

If you want to try a cultured recipe, you can substitute 1/3 cup of plain, active culture yogurt for each gallon of milk.  Using pasteurized, homogenized milk you should probably use calcium chloride as well, to get a better curd set and higher yield.

You did pick a tough one to start on, but most people are attracted to it because it doesn't require special equipment or a place to age the cheese.  It can be done, though!

RamirOk

Re: First mozzarella try results in something like queso blanco
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 05:34:09 PM »
Thank you Karen I'm going to try that recipe this weekend and see if I can get better results.