Author Topic: Liquid Wax  (Read 5813 times)

Billingsley

Liquid Wax
« on: May 31, 2012, 02:09:45 AM »
Hi All,

As a newbie I have had a few problems with waxing cheese, mainly the mess and the not so good final appearance.

I have experimented with a liquid cheese wax and to me it ticks all the boxes. I give the cheese at least 3 coats and the end result is a smooth crystal clear glass like covering that has the great advantage that I can see through to the skin directly should a spot of mould appear. Has only happened once but it was so simple to remove the offending spot and dab on a bit more wax.

And of course it's then a quick brush clean in water.

Once the cheese is ready for eating, the wax comes off as simply as the more "conventional" wax.

Am I missing something though... should I not be using this liquid wax for some reason?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions

Tomer1

Re: Liquid Wax
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 07:05:36 AM »
Can you provide a link to the product?

Billingsley

hoeklijn

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 10:51:14 AM »
I don't think liquid cheese wax is the right expression for it, it's a plastic coating and has nothing to do with wax. But I think it's a very good product. Some suppliers offer it in different colors like transparent, yellow, red and black and some of them are mixed with some mold-protecting stuff. Personally I use for my Gouda's 2 layers of yellow, stick a label on the second layer while it is still sticky and finish it with a transparent layer. Cheeses like Cabra a Vino I coat with transparent only. And, as said, it is easy to peel of at room temperature and easy to clean.
Almost all Gouda and Leiden, from big dairies and artisan cheesemakers in Holland are coated with this....

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 11:16:55 AM »
Herman summed it up nicely.   Its a great product and Im looking to get some.

hoeklijn

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 06:56:49 PM »
Tomer, maybe you can try at http://www.brouwland.com/en/. It's a website in different languages and they have different suppliers all over Europe and the rest of the world, but mostly for brewery products (see distributors). You could drop them a mail and ask if they shop to Israel...

Tomer1

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 07:13:42 PM »
10x,  sent them an email.  they got some great winemaking stuff aswell.  maybe they can offer cheaper shipping rates then buying from the US.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 08:31:20 PM »
Liquid wax is not made to replace regular cheese wax. Your cheese can dry out with just the liquid wax.

Tomer1

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 07:21:45 AM »
So your saying its just another type of rind treatment which maintains a mold free rind?

Little Creek Cheese

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 01:19:13 PM »
this cheese plastic is a food grade PVA glue, if it becomes too thick , just thin it with some water, I used it at home for a while with good to better results, I tried it once or twice commercially, but have steered away from it only due to the extra time ,

hoeklijn

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 02:33:44 PM »
this cheese plastic is a food grade PVA glue, if it becomes too thick , just thin it with some water

Exactly, also the dedicated paintbrush I'm using is very easy to clean with warm water. At the cheesefarm where I buy my raw milk they are simply using a big sponge. They apply only one  thicker layer instead of the three I do.

Oberhasli

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 04:54:37 PM »
Is this liquid wax the same thing as "cream wax"?  I have been using the cream wax for years and it is readily available in the U.S. from various sources.  It sounds the same.....water soluble, dries clear or you can buy colors.  I use it for its mold inhibitor properties.  I use it as an undercoat before I dip my cheeses in the hard wax I melt to coat the cheeses for aging.

Bonnie