Author Topic: Swiss rind- should I be concerned?  (Read 4518 times)

Myrrh

Swiss rind- should I be concerned?
« on: May 31, 2012, 04:26:08 AM »
I've been working on my first baby swiss, and after a week in the fridge and a week at room temp, I am at the swelling stage. There is a nice dome to the top and curves on the side, but the rind itself looks a bit precarious. Should I be worried about the small cracks? Those on the sides are actually just indentations from the plypan, but those at the top are early cracks. Is there anything I can do? The cheese smells heavenly, and I realize that the holes aren't necessary for fabulous flavor, but they are a nice touch. This wheel was made from a 7 gallon mix of cow and goat milk if that makes a difference.
Thanks for your thoughts!

linuxboy

Re: Swiss rind- should I be concerned?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 04:34:52 AM »
If you prepressed in whey to fuse curds and to reduce nucleation sites, you're fine. Even if not, you're fine.. just affects the openings. If you want, can reduce temp to slow down the gas

Myrrh

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 04:37:29 AM »
I did press under whey. I was thinking about moving back to the fridge for a bit, but I am not sure how that would help. Is the rind more likely to refuse and have a better chance of holding the gas when I put it back at room temp if I do that? Thanks!

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 04:41:50 AM »
What the rind is doing is deceptive. Not indicative necessarily of what's happening to the body. It's not crucial to try and hold all the gas in as it is to have proper nucleation sites and control gas formation, and to make sure you hit the right terminal pH (5.3-5.4) before brining.

Myrrh

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 04:54:06 AM »
I gave my swiss a break in the cave for 3 days to help the rind recover a bit from the pressure, and now its back out at room temperature. The rest seems to have helped because the cheese swelled a bunch more at room temp, but seems to be handling it better. The bottom was flat in the first picture I posted, but since it has been back out it looks like a flying saucer ready for take off.

The cheese behind is a swiss about a week younger that is handling the pressure like an old pro. My house smells a bit like old socks, but I can just imagine it on turkey sandwiches. SO excited!

Patience.............patience.............patienc e...................

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 06:47:38 AM »
Those look very impressive!  Nice save.  A cheese to you.

- Jeff

Myrrh

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 11:13:40 PM »
Thanks Jeff! The resting period in the cave seems to really have helped with curd re-knit.

linuxboy

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 11:52:48 PM »
Looks great, Myrrh. Cheese to you!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 05:45:14 AM »
Very nice, Myrrh! Boy, am I envious. :(

Interesting...Swiss with a goat milk accent.  :)

I'm sure the 7 gallon volume helps with the swelling.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Myrrh

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 02:38:47 AM »
Thanks guys!
I put the cheese in front back in the fridge for another rest period since I was starting to get curd separation again. It was starting to look like a basketball. I'm expecting to put it back out at room temperature in another day or two. The cheese in back also levitating now. I cant wait to see how it all tastes!

Boofer, the 7 gallon thing really does help. Considering how much time (work, and PATIENCE) each hard cheese takes, I am so glad I got a vat that allows me to get more cheese for my effort. I strongly recommend it to anyone contemplating taking the cheesy plunge.

Glenda

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 01:58:24 AM »
I'm also envious, i'm doing a swiss 2weeks into room temp.i don't see much swelling.but used only 2gall. Milk.i'm having a problem with mold. I wash with salt soluson and some vin.should i leave it out longer and maybe more swelling?i picked out some of the mold with a tooth pic.any advise?